Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

weight of broadhead

Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Default weight of broadhead

i was wondering how or what is a good rule of thumb on determining a broadhead weight? like 100 grain or 125 etc...
thank you
joe
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weight of broadhead

There really is none. For the most part, so long as your arrows are spined correctly either wieght will work just fine. The only way it will really make a big difference is if your arrows are right on the edge of spine, and then only if your on the weak side.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

It may help to boost your FOC a tad by going with the heavier head... I went a slightly different route, as I stayed with a 100-grain head and a 50-grain brass insert.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Do these brass inserts work with all arrows and all broadheads? I would be willing to try them on my new Gold Tip CAA's with Slick Trick broadheads.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gold Tip sells weights that screw into all of their inserts. You can get them in 10 gr, 20 gr or 50 gr for around $8 for 12. I use 20 gr weights with 100 gr BH's. You will also need a wrench though to insert. www.lancasterarchery.com carries both.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jkcjdksa

i was wondering how or what is a good rule of thumb on determining a broadhead weight? like 100 grain or 125 etc...
thank you
joe
It's all about preference, and what you are trying to accomplish.
Don't let the speed demons try to feed you the lighter the better garbage. I likethem heavy,my FOC is 21%, total arrow weight 543 grains, I shoot a 220 grain Muzzy Phantom cut on contact my draw weight is 58 pounds. I bust through deer and hogs with ease. I also like the fact that the heavy broad heads are thicker. The Muzzy's are .040 thick.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: jkcjdksa

thank you
joe
It's all about preference, and what you are trying to accomplish.
Don't let the speed demons try to feed you the lighter the better garbage. I like them heavy, my FOC is 21%, total arrow weight 543 grains, I shoot a 220 grain Muzzy Phantom cut on contact my draw weight is 58 pounds. I bust through deer and hogs with ease. I also like the fact that the heavy broad heads are thicker. The Muzzy's are .040 thick.

Amen to that REV!!! Im going with the 220 Muzzy Phantoms this year with a FOC of 21% and a arrow weight of 500grains pulling 68lbs. I had a friend from 2 targets over last week at a 3D shoot comment to me what was I shooting logs out og that bow because they sounded like they were hitting hard. I responded yes they are Im going after elephant this year. LOL[8D]
Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen the Rev's setup perform on a deer,went through and the poor little doe only went about 30 yards,I can't afford the b/h's he shoots so guess the 100 gr. insert and 125 head is where I'm headed this year.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a speed freak but do not believe you need 250 grain heads. People have been using 125 gr for a long time and I've shot deer with them with the deer only traveling 25 yds. To each their own though.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote]ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I'm not a speed freak but do not believe you need 250 grain heads. People have been using 125 gr for a long time and I've shot deer with them with the deer only traveling 25 yds. To each their own though.
[/quote

You're right, but at one time all we had was aluminum arrows, and one time you could use broad heads with barbs, one time everyone rode horse too... what is wrong with technology? You will never attain a higher FOC staying in the dark ages..

It's a proven fact you get better performance with higher FOC. I shoot 3D with guys that shoot 200 grain field tips, I'm not talking about your average run of the mill shooters, these guys are on top of their game with enough sponsors to back up their skills.
10 % FOC will work,,, 18 Plus FOC works mo betta.

Quick Reply: weight of broadhead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.