Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

weight of broadhead

Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weight of broadhead

ORIGINAL: dbleyepatches

Dumb question but do you measure the distance from the balance point of the arrow and divide the distance forward of the balance point by the distance behind the balance point to get the percentage? (Damn I hope all of that makes sense to somebody)
See the attached link.

In the link you will notice that it gives the reason why you select FOC and it does not say anywhere in there "So I have a male arrow that will break through bones."It is used to fine tune an arrow for long range target competitions.Notice though the chart of different FOC's that are commonly used.

There is nothing wrong with being over the 15% but being under 10%may cause instability in a broadhead. As I stated previously there are benefits to having the weight forward on a hunting shaft. Especially if you are not shooting a high speed bowor or a newer high draw weight bow that can not produce a large amount of momentum/penetration/KEwith a 5-6 GPP arrow. I actually believe that if you shoot a slower bow you should use as much FOC as you can to ensure that as much force as possible is not lost on impact. It seems a lot of people that I talk to outside of HNI are around 12% to 13% that have 60to 70 lb draw weight bows.

http://www.socalarchery.com/Information/front%20of%20center.htm
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I likethem heavy,my FOC is 21%, total arrow weight 543 grains, I shoot a 220 grain Muzzy Phantom cut on contact my draw weight is 58 pounds.
Where can I get some of these 220 grain Muzzys ? The mostI can find up here and that is with special ordering is 145 grain 2 blades. Right nowI am shooting 145 grain magnus 2 blades and Easton XX75 aluminums. Sorry but I love the aluminums for the wieght of them and they have passed straight threw every deer I have shot with them.With the exception of one and that one cut threw 6 ribs on one side and one on the other side.With a total of seven ribs being cut threw it wasn't very bad as the broadhead did make it's way threw. Also the fact thatI have heard of some carbons shattering with the heavier bows.. Perhaps it was a flaw but I have never heard of that from aluminums.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are multiple ways to accomplish the end result, but the most important thing to pay attention to is your FOC. Keep it at a minimum of 12% to 15% for broadheads.

I have some FMJ's that I built with 100 grain brass inserts to achieve over 20% FOC with a Slick Trick 125 grain mag. The extreme FOC arrows really perform awesome!

Dan
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Having a high FOC with the weight forward hasa slight advantage because most of the weightis on the most solid part of the arrow that upon impact the force will not be misdirected by the flex of the arrow.

I concur
Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

well I just bought my new arrows,cx maxima 350,put a 50 grn insrt in tonight with a 125 grn head total weight of 469 grns with a foc of 14.66,shot great through paper can,t wait to try them on the target.