Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

weight of broadhead

Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: weight of broadhead

ORIGINAL: davepjr71
I urge people to not state that the only good set-up is a heavy FOC set-up or high FOC with a heavy arrow.Some people make it sound like sacrilege to not use a heavy arrow or high FOC and seem to look down on those who don't.

YOU URGE? ...Now's that's funny I don't care who you are!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about ask, implore? Are those better? [8D][8D]
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

bruce,

You may need a faster bow. lol j/k This is why I prefer a heavier DW. Your arrow would be almost 260 fps out of my Ally and I can make a 23% FOC arrow that weighs 553 that would be over 270 FPS. I think the great thing about archery is you have so many options and choices and can fiddle with so many set-ups.Good luck this season.

By the way, I'm sure you've seen that the first day is on a Monday for some wacky reason?[:@]
That is at 70# and that is a bit much for the spine LOL. When I put the new string and cables on it will probably tune at around 63-65#'s. I should get a screamin' 200fps by then LMAO. Once I get it set up I am going to put one arrow through a 2x4 just to see what the BH does to it. I had an arrow similar to this one, 533gr 19%FOC, go through my bag target, through the bale of straw and splinter a 2x4. Granted, that was probably a weak spot in the target but that is just an example of why I love these heavy arrows even though they fly a bit slower than some others . I limit my hunting range to 25yds and in so speed and trajectory aren't much of an issue.

I don't care when the first day of the season is, just as long as it gets here

Good luck this season to you too.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 PM

thank you all for the input and replies. i will take all into consideration.
thanks again
joe
Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 AM

I let paper tuning determine tip weight, as long as the tip will provide a minimum 10% FOC
If two tips tune equally well, for example 100 and 125, then I'll try shooting both at 40 yards and see if one seems to group better than the other.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: im ocd
as long as the tip will provide a minimum 10% FOC

Now that is funny... 10% FOC is like shooting a fast straw.. I want a male arrow flying.. You know something with some balls. I don't what to bounce off a bone, I want to break it and go through it! 10 % is not even close.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: im ocd
as long as the tip will provide a minimum 10% FOC

Now that is funny... 10% FOC is like shooting a fast straw.. I want a male arrow flying.. You know something with some balls. I don't what to bounce off a bone, I want to break it and go through it! 10 % is not even close.
Now that's funny, I answered a question about tip weight and someone decides to bash / "critique" my arrow selection process.

Regardless of your arrow FOC preferences, I've been extremely successful in the field.
Out of 22 deer I've gotten a passthrough 19 times. The three times I did not: I hit spine once, and twice I used a 2'' mechanical with slightly less than 60# of KE;basically, if I stay away from the spine or an extremely large broadhead I get a pass through, 19/22 times.

My current arrow has about 12.5% FOC

"Critique"someone with less experience.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

10% FOC is considered the minimum safe standard for stabilizing a large fixed blade broadhead according to just about everyone.

FOC has nothing to do with arrow weight.It's a value for how much weight is toward the front of the arrow. Meaning that you can have a low FOC arrow with a heavy weight.You can build an arrow with a 100 gr tip that would weight over 500 gr that would be just as effective on a deer as the 23% FOC arrow. High FOCarrows stabilize better during cross winds on long range targets (70, 80 100 yds) due to most of the weight being in 1 point, the front. Again, it has nothing to do with how well an arrow with smash through a bone. You can easily make an arrow with 10% FOC that weighs 550 gr or more. I'm not sure why people automatically assume that a person is shooting a fast light set-up if they have 10% FOC.

For some reason now people talk about a broadhead likes it's a rifle."I want to smash through bone." Broadheads use hemorrhaging to kill an animal, not shock like a bullet,and any arrow with enough force, no matter what the FOC, will break through a shoulder blade if struck in the right spot.

Having a high FOC with the weight forward hasa slight advantage because most of the weightis on the most solid part of the arrow that upon impact the force will not be misdirected by the flex of the arrow.

High FOC or 10% FOC there is no wrong answer. It's all a matter of what you want to shoot.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM

You can easily make an arrow with 10% FOC that weighs 550 gr or more. I'm not sure why people automatically assume that a person is shooting a fast light set-up if they have 10% FOC.
Right on, the arrow setup I used for hog hunting weighed 309grains, but had a FOC of almost 17%.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Dumb question but do you measure the distance from the balance point of the arrow and divide the distance forward of the balance point by the distance behind the balance point to get the percentage? (Damn I hope all of that makes sense to somebody)

Quick Reply: weight of broadhead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.