Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Silencers?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default String Silencers?

I have a MeanV string suppressor on my bow and it works great. My string leeches **** to bed on me last year and i took them off. I'm looking to make my bow as quiet as possible and add whatever i need to. How well do Sims Cable dampeners, cable leeches and super string leeches work? Any opinions on each or all? Will they make a difference with the MeanV already in place?

Zach
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Silencers?

I to0ok all the string leeches off my bows and shooting naked string other than string loop.I was shooting in the yard and one came off and hit below my eye! Thats all it tookm for me! I heard some cat whiskers will work for noise real well just trim them down to .50 cent diameter and will help.I also slid the limb dampners all the way down the limbs,haven't noticed any extra limb shock yet.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many people leave the stuff off. I've found that I think my bow is louder then it actually is. If you want to know how loud your bow sounds have someone else shoot it and standbeside or away from your bow. I thought mine was louder then all my friends until I realized that right behind the bow is the loudest place to be when you shoot.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the leeches for several years now. I got a deal on them at a local bow shop that was closing and picked up about 10 sets. I don'tput them on my bow until several weeks before bow season because the sound doesn't matter to me while shooting in the backyard. Once i put a set ini shoot the bow to make sure everything is ok and forget about it. I always serve them in and they usually last the whole season wihtout any problems. If i ever run out i may not use anything anymore because my Bowtech Liberty is pretty darn quiet to begin with.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've gone back to cat whiskers cut down to the size of a half dollar. It's a no brainer with me.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Cat whiskers work better than leeches IMO.

Davepjr makes an excellent point. To you your bow sounds louder than it actually is. Have someone else shoot it while you stand away.