Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 03-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-05-2003, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Wild Boar Set Up

I would say yes you can take down a boar with this setup. I always go overkill on pigs just because im a power freak and i want to make sure my arrow blows through them. However, i dont recomend mechanicals for pigs. The skin is tough and fatty, plus there just tough. Stick with your muzzys if they fly good. Good luck, stick a good one.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your set up should be fine for pigs but like you said with proper shot placement.
I would steer away from mech heads and stick to the muzzy' s Pigs are tough and you need a tough head to take them down.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto the no mechanicals. As for shot placement, there may be some who would argue the point but my favorite option would be a quartering away shot. Just physically aim for the opposite shoulder and I think I would hold my pin 1.3 of the way up from the belly just as you would a deer.

This shot should get you in behind the extra thick hide that protects the vital zone.

I took a 350 lb Russian Blue in the Tarsus Eucalyptus Forest many years ago; but I got mine with a 12 ga pumpkin ball down his nose. I' m not sure how well an arrow would penetrate in a standard broadside shot . . . but it should work.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had good luck with 100 grain 3 blade muzzys on hogs ecellent head . You should have no problem with your set up , just make sure you use brand new blades .
Old 03-06-2003, 10:28 AM

I hunt pigs almost weekly in the Pali valley. Your setup is fine. As you know, our hogs don' t run as big as the Russians. They can reach 200-300 pounds though. Good shot placement is the key. Their vitals sit low in the chest so aim accordingly. I' ll tell you now, these things are tough to hunt one on one, even with a feeder. The farther off the road you get, the better your chances and hunt until dark, coming out with a flashlight. Look for my grey Toyota Tundra at the sign-in mailbox.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

I think alot depends on the size of the pigs you are after. I got this one (230 lbs.) with a 65 lb Hoyt Vor-tec. I use steelforce broadheads and they had no problem penetrating. Just be sure you are using SHARP heads and you get him quartering away. Your set-up sounds a little light for a larger Boar but it should be ok for a sow. The boar has a good 1" plate that is very difficult to penetrate with even a rifle, my last hunt proved that theory (300 lb) boar and 5 arrows later....good luck! JDinAB

Old 03-06-2003, 03:59 PM

JD,
The pigs here in Hawaii are more of the domestic variety. I' ve disected a lot of pigs (about 20) along with some nice boars and I' ve never seen this plate. They are built heavier than a deer, but no protective armor.

KalaniManu,
The biggest problem I' ve encountered was dogs, either running loose or someone poaching with them. Once the dogs run pigs through my area, the hunting sucks for a week. I hunt back far off the road so I don' t see many other hunters. I' m out there almost every Sunday evening, 4:00-dark

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.