Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Aiming/Sight Pin Question

Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Aiming/Sight Pin Question

My bow, a Browning Tornado equipped with a Toxonic 3-pin sight,is well tuned and I shoot it very well. I use a large aperture peep and a kisser button. My question concerns the setting of the sight pins in relation to my arrow/string/rest alignment. When lining up these three components my sight pins are halfway to the left of centerline.
I have had the bow to two different pro shops and neither can determine why I sight the way I do. One of the pros watched me shoot and examined my form at full draw and could not see anything out of the ordinary. One of the pros shot my bow andwas groupingto the right approx 8 inches at 20 yds. Both of us had a good group but in different locations on the target.
I guess this should not be a concern as I cannot complain about how I am shootingbut it baffles me as to why these sight pins are not in alignment with the string and rest. It only seems logical to me that with a peep sight and kisser button that the sight pins should also be in alignment.
Any thoughts on this issue?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aiming/Sight Pin Question

Trex, I have a buddy that has been shooting the same way every since I have known him. There is something he is doing that is not just right but for the life of me I haven't been able to find it for the last 6-7 years. When we ordered his first bow is when we found it, I set the bow up with everthing in line, he was hitting to the left we continued to move the site till he was hitting. I noticed having to move the sight too much, so I shot the bow (we are the same draw length) I was shooting to the right....That drove me crazy for the first several months....But he has been shooting that way with every bow we have set up for him over the last 6-7 years and he has taken several animals....Well this last year, we were on a hunt out in west Texas and he forgot his release, I loaned him mine and we started shooting at camp.....Well we found out his bow was way off (6-8") to the right...That is the only thing that I can figure, there was something with his release (the way he was holding it or something)that had him torqueing the string but it was really consistant....I don't know what he has done since then......He moved a couple years ago, so only see him once a year on a hunt the last two....

Try a different style release (borrow one)and see if that has any affect....
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your response. I am shooting a Tru-Fire Team Realtree release for the past several years. I keep my old release in my pack as a backup. It is of the same type but I will try it and also borrow my nephew's release which is the hard rubber molded finger groove type and see if there is any significant difference.
Again, thanks....no one has mention that it may be the release. It was suggested that it may be the wrist sling causing the bow to torque but my sling is very loose on my wrist so that was ruled out and I use the bubble level on my sight to keep the bow level.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said that is the only time that I have seen it when we couldn't find anything else wrong with the form......That's all I could think of if your form is not the issue....Good luck....maybe you could post some pic's of your form too...There are some guys on here that are good at critiqueing form on here....
Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM

I have been told that you want your sight pins to the left of that string rest alignment, is that incorrect?

I just did my own little test which seems to confirm my sight pin to the left idea, maybe this will prove some error in my form as well as yours Trex.

Pick an item somewhere in the room and stick your left hand out like you are holding your bow (hopefully you are right handed, if not reverse it), then point at that item while looking straight at it. So now your finger is pointing right at your target, now rotate your head to the rightso that your nose is pointing to the right instead of straight ahead. Do you see your finger move to the left of the target?

Correct meif I'm wrong but since my sightis to the left of my stringand rest when I'm looking straight at it,this could mean that when I turn my head slightly to the right as I dowhen drawing my bow andligning up my peepto mysight that I am actuallycorrecting for this small displacement. Now this could be different for each person,considering space between eyes, facesize, poor form, etc. I am not sure if this is corrector that I am actuallyconvincing myself but it seems tomake sense to me.

Is it correct form to have yournose pointingdirectly at the target? Is this a result from having a draw that is too long? Does everyoneturn their head a little to the right at full draw?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

This is what my form looks like. Thanks for any comments, criticism or help.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/PossumTop/IMG_0932.jpg

Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it's a matter of what part of the pin a person actually uses and also could be an eye dominance issue if you shoot with both open.

It also could be that you have cam lean issues. If the cam leans at full draw the pins would have to be offset to compensate.

As for your form. You should rotate your left hand out so that only the joint of your thumb is along the back line of the grip instead of your palm. The back side of your forearm will be at about 45 deg. I used to hold the same way you do and it can cause issues with torquing the grip during release.