Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problems w/AimPoint CompC3 sight on SBXT

Old 07-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problems w/AimPoint CompC3 sight on SBXT

OK- I must admit........... I'm a little bummed out. I just returned from my bowsmith, an authorized Mathews dealer who has over 60 years in the business. I purchased a SBXT from him and I have all the faith in the world in him as a bowsmith. He's written books on bowtuning, was the technical editor of Bow & Arrow magazine for 15+ years & has set up bows for Chuck Adams, Ted Nugent, Olympic archers and hundreds of bowhunters like myself. My point is that this guy has been around the block & has seen it all- if not, written about it.

Well- back to my "troubles"......... I bought the SBXT and it came in last week while I was on vacation. I bought an AimPoint CompC3 Red-Dot sight that I brought to him before I went on vacation. I also had an HHA Optimizer-Lite Adjustable sight mount drop-shipped to my 'smith's shop so he could start puting things together while I was away. I told my smith to take his time, don't rush........... I didn't want him to feel pressured to get me the bow. So today I went up at lunch to pick the bow up, here's the problem:

Today, at 10 yards, with the HHA OL adjustable sight cranked all the way up (canterlevering the scope as low as possible), I'm hitting about 9 inchesbelow the target! If I move further back from the target, I'll hit even lower & there's no room left to adjust the sight mount as it's already maxed out. We looked at the mounting alignment from the HHA bracket to the Aimpoint sight itself- there is no room to move the mount any lower as it's already in the lowest position possible.

My 'smith tells me that my anchor point is too "high". It is what it is & I haven't had any problems shooting my Outback and/or killing deer & I don't want to start screwing around with my form to compensate for a sight. When I attempted to lower my anchor point (at the request of my 'smith, so he could prove his point), I then had trouble even acquiring the red-dot in the sight!

Is there anyone out there who has any experience mounting an AimPoint Red-Dot sight on any Mathews bow using an HHA Optimizer-Lite Adjustable sight mount? I need some help bad. The only other possibility I can think of is to attempt to "flip" the L-bracket (that mounts the sight, via a weaver base/ring, to the bow) upside down, This could possibly provide me more range, while bring the sight up into my field of view. It would also create more clearance for the arrows, as they are released- as right now, they are passing just under the sight.

I'll send pictures tonight when I get home so as to give you all a better idea of what's going on. Right now, I'm in my office with my dick in the dirt- TOTALLY bummed out. My smith tells me I need to call the HHA folks and ask for help. I'd rather get help from someone who may have already encountered this problem & overcame it. I have read all the manuals for all the above-mentioned equipment and there is nothing that addresses this issue. I even tried tinkering with the yardage "fine" adjustment knob on the side of the AimPoint, but the results were negligible. My thinking is that the problem may be in the way the sight is being received by the mount, but what exactly the solution is- isn't apparent to me.

Thanks in Advance for any help you can provide.

Rob
[/align]