Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Vibra blocks on bowtechs

Old 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Vibra blocks on bowtechs

I have been seeing a lot of pictures of people sliding their blocks against the limb pockets and putting the sims on the limbs also. How good does this work and does it take away much speed from the bow.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Vibra blocks on bowtechs

Chazz
Altho the vibra blocks work they just dont work as good as the simm limb savers.
You wont lose any speed by sliding them to the pockets and adding the simms limb savers.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve been doing this since the Vibrablocks came out, and I have absolutely no way of quantifying a reason other than a theory or " common sense" [8D] (yeah I said common sense!)
The Vibrablocks are heavier, and although I am convinced they work pretty well from actually trying bows with and then without them installed alone..........They are a bit heavy and I think the SIMS Limbsavers are better in the " normal" Limbsaver position on the limbs. So rather than just scrap them altogether I figured why not get them down against the riser/limb pocket where they surround the entire area to help with vibration at this connection between the 2 parts. I know it can' t hurt, and in that location speed loss should be near zero.

One thing I have noticed, and JeffB pretty much started the Limbsaver experimenting a few years back...........thru us messing around with them in different places the BowTech Gordon Glass limbs seem to like them placed at the spot where the limb is almost completely tapered into the body of the limb vs. way up near the limb fork where SIMS suggests.........This has been tru on my Mighty Mite, Pro38 Dual Cam and my Patriot last year so there must be something to how the energy is quickly concentrated at firing to this area of the limb allowing the Limbsaver to absorb more of it.............You guys buyin' this?

Frank(PABowhuntr)........you out there?.........this post has me longing for the rubber tubing in the riser cutouts again!! Boy we could make a perfectly beautiful bow hideous in a hurry couldn' t we!?[X(]
Old 03-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt/PA- thanks for the advice as I am going to get (ordered) a 2003 Blackhawk, but might upgrade to the Mightymite (in stock) when The bow shows up.
Do you have any pics on what location your refering to when you say " at the spot where the limb is almost completely tapered into the body of the limb" . Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I would like more clarification so I can get the best use out of the limbsavers I have waiting on a new bow- gotta love wal-mart clearance items!! ($9.00, I remember when they went for $25.00 at the proshop!!)

Also, in another post- BUCKMAGNET- wrote something about the reasons he/you recommend doing away with the hush kit on the strings as it adds too much weight. Could you elaborate on this Pleeeeaaase, thanks.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, me to! If you have any pictures, I' m curious exactly where you are talking about putting them on the Patriot. Mine are 1" from the split in the split limb for the cam.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave,
If you look at the bow limb directly from the side, you will see that it is much fatter at the forked end...........then it tapers down to a much thinner and relatively uniform width all the way to the limb pocket. I like to place the Limbsavers right at the point where the limb is almost entirely tapered down, just slightly up the slope of the taper. Without a picture this is a difficult description I know.......[>:] Its not a HUGE difference, not like shooting the bow with or without the Limbsavers attached, but I could feel and hear a difference over placing them on the fat forked end of the limb, especially with the Mighty Mite for some reason.
As for the Hush Kit Silencers.........someone here weighed them on a grain scale and found them to be 23grs a piece. I wish someone would weigh a SIMS Leech for me for comparison, but that seems heavy to me. Regardless of potential speed loss, as much as I like BowTech products I have to say that the SIMS leeches work better for noise and vibration reduction. They are better than nothing obviously, so that' s a plus with respect to not having to immediately purchase another product for a brand new bow if you don' t feel like spending any more money on add ons.........I' ll put it this way, to my ears the Leeches are an " Upgrade" .
I had every intention of testing speed with regards to bare string vs.Hush Kit vs. Leeches but got too excited and just started shooting and changing things as usual.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I went to the bowtech websight and looked at the bow, now I know exactly where to put them.
Any comments on the 2003 Blackhawk? The MM is $125.00 more, would it be worth it?, or are they two differant bows alltogether?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

DaveC, I think the Mighty Mite is worth the extra money. But I would suggest shooting both, you may not feel as I do. My bro-law has one and loves it. It is a good shooting bow.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:57 AM

Matt/PA, your findings of the placement of the LimbSavers echo my own theory of where the actual residual vibration of the limb occurs. My idea is that when the axle comes to rest at the shot, the foward and upward momentum of the limb will continue to the weakest portion of the limb and towards the limb pocket. The limb I believe is actually bending back somewhat again as if it were being drawn. I think that if we could see the limb flexing, we would actually see a wave moving back and forth along the weakest portion of the limb. IMO the LimbSavers should be placed near the mid point between the axle and the base of the limb.