. It has been something I always wanted to try and...i REALLY liked it. It seemed like it would greatly improve accuracy. I'm mostly a hunter but I also shoot a little friendly..." />

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to Back Tension Releases

Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to Back Tension Releases

I recently tried out a back tension release at the shop on a "draw practice" tool thing. It has been something I always wanted to try and...i REALLY liked it. It seemed like it would greatly improve accuracy. I'm mostly a hunter but I also shoot a little friendly 3D quite a bit. So my question is.......what the heck do you guys use these back tension releases for? I want to pick one up but do you only use them for practice or in actual 3D shooting? Any help appreciated as I am pretty clueless.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Default RE: New to Back Tension Releases

Whatever shooting you want to do with one. I know guys that use them for target/3D only and some that use them exclusively, for all shooting and hunting. Personally, I never liked them for hunting because once commited you are shooting, letting up would be dangerous. I have heard guys talk of being so far into the release and an animal move but they had to followthrough and fire; resulting in a marginal hit or miss. I have hunted with them a little, but fortunately never had this happen.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to hunt with mine all the time. Since I got my Genesis Mag X I don't use anything else.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever works best for you. Myself, I never got anything from a BT release except a busted lip and a nosebleed.[&:]
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha sorry to hear that Arthur!! I was thinking of getting one and eventually trying to work with it and shoot 3D with it. But, if I get confident enough I guess I could always bring it out into the woods. Now, if I'm planning on trying some 3D with it, do you think it would be better to get one with a safety? The one I shot didn't have one and im not to fond of that. Arrows are to expensive to be zinging into the back wall on accident!

EDIT: Also, any suggestions on certain releases to try. I know I've heard good things about Carter but any others I should check out?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Whatever works best for you. Myself, I never got anything from a BT release except a busted lip and a nosebleed. [&:]

I had my chappy boss nearly slip out of hand one hot June afternoon on a 3D course.... its the only zero I've ever gotten... went to grab the release as it slipped... hit the trigger... pinwheeled a sweet gum sappling.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were wanting a BT release - and I'm not, for obvious reasons[8D] - I'd get a Stanislawski.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I were wanting a BT release - and I'm not, for obvious reasons[8D] - I'd get a Stanislawski.
I used a Stan four finger for years. Hey Art, if you hit yourself in the lips it must have hurt.. for those of you that have never seen Art... He's a big boy.I met him while working the Bowtech booth at the Ft. Worth Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza..
At first I was kind of afraid of him.[&:][&:], He is super nice fellow.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I used a Stan four finger for years. Hey Art, if you hit yourself in the lips it must have hurt.. for those of you that have never seen Art... He's a big boy.I met him while working the Bowtech booth at the Ft. Worth Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza..
At first I was kind of afraid of him.[&:][&:], He is super nice fellow.
One of those guy's with a draw so long his bowtech shoots 70# BC speeds at 50#s with a 9 gpp weight arrow??
Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, they don't make a Bowtech with a 33 1/2" draw.

Rev, you're ruining my reputation. You know that? [8D]

Quick Reply: New to Back Tension Releases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.