Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I got an idea

Old 03-04-2003, 03:28 PM

Default I got an idea

But I can' t tell you. Seriously, I' m dabbling with a archery invention and I don' t know which way to turn. The idea may not be as revolutionary as the compound bow was, but I feel it can greatly help shooters. I checked around with some patent sites and it looks like it will cost up to $10,000 to get a patent on this thing. Does anyone know of any other options? Ideally, I would like to bring it to an archery company and have them run with the idea. I have built a prototype and it works great. Sorry I can' t say what it is. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I got an idea

I,d talk to a lawyer first before you talk to any company
Old 03-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

What jersey said is darn good advise I didnt
and got the shaft and I dont mean an arrow!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:32 PM

Dont get your hopes up. Its always fun to dream, but dont let it carry you away!
1. Call your state library and ask about there patent and trademark depository libraries. They will make an apointment for a one on one class on using their library for doing a patent search which is the first thing you need to do to make sure no one else has that idea. They give you a folder which has papers explaining alot of different ideas on how to protect your idea. They also give you a list of books that are helpfull . If you have some one else do a patent search it usualy cost 300 to 500 dollers. The library may have a list of patent attornys who can do this.
In this folder they inform you of a dislcosure document. You pay $10 to file a disclosure document that will serve as evidence of an inventons conception. Its not the same as a patent it only helps if you try to submit your idea to a company thru a confidentiality agreement so they or others know not to try and steal it . Most companys wont even try any way, but it gives a time line to prove you thought of it first .
A confidentiality ageement is for submiting your idea to a specific company. You ask a company if they take ideas. If they send you one it wil say that if you send them the idea and prototype they will not disclose you information for 2 or 3 years . and they will tell you if they will use your idea or not in three months, so you have two years to sell to another company or if they are already working on a similar product, thats where your disclosure document comes in handy.
If you realy want a patent it will usualy cost from $2000 to $10,000 depending on how complex. I would rather submit it to a company and if they want it they will pay a royaly and for a patent in your name. Not costing you anything! other than your attorny for negotiatoins, to get you the best deal.
One book I liked was HOW TO TURN YOUR IDEA INTO A MILLION DOLLERS
I dont know the auther, it tells you how not to waste your money on patents if you can help it.
What ever you do dont call a 1800 number for a idea submision company. you could forfit your idea
START AT YOUR STATE LIBRARY
good luck
Old 03-05-2003, 08:27 AM

I' m in the process of buying a patent for an archery idea. I did a good bit of research and kept getting told to get a patent attorney. I did patent searches myself and found no other ideas like mine. I finally did go to a patent attorney and when he did a patent search he found several existing patents that were along the same lines, but still not like mine. Mine was different enough to warrant getting the patent.

I would recommend at least talking to a PA. They usually won' t charge you just to discuss the patent process and your idea.

The other thing you will definitely run into is that the larger companies will not give you the time of day without a patent or at least " patent pending" status. They get inundated with ideas and won' t pay for the patent process when they don' t know if they will get a return on their investment. Some of the smaller companies will look at your idea with a disclosure document, but they still see many, many ideas every day so it is very competitive. I would recommend doing your own patent search first and then getting the disclosure document. You can send it to some of the smaller companies first so see if there is any interest there. You never know, you may just get lucky. If none of them want to market it, then you can look at possibly getting the patent.

Just remember that getting a patent does not guarantee that your idea will be used by a company. It is a calculated risk you have to take.

Good luck with your idea. I hope we see it on the market soon!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that a PA was the way to go. Maybe I' ll hold off until I retire from the AF. I' ll have a lot more time on my hands. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 AM

I' m making a great arrow rest right now and instead of spending $8000.00 on a patent, I' m going to sell them locally and pocket some profits. I don' t want to get involved with any legal action should someone copy my patent and I am forced to go to court to defend it. The patent attorney I talked to said that his last patent infringement law suit ccst his client $125,000.00.