Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ran out of sight adjustment.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ran out of sight adjustment.

So, I've been out dialing in my 101st (LH). I walk-backed it, and feel centershot is pretty well set. I creep tuned a bit just for kicks and giggles. Once everything was good, I started sighting in. Now I'm using my CJ DN Comp RH model flipped to accomodate my LH bow (in an attempt to save some money). I quickly found that while I had plenty of elevation adjustment, I ran out of right windage adjustment. My arrows are impacting about 1-1.5" to the right, but I have no more adjustment in the sight in that direction. Is there a work-around fix for this (I'm thinking no, but who knows), or should I start looking for a new sight?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ran out of sight adjustment.

Hey Matt, this might sound a little redneck but here goes, could you grind the sight bracket down enough to make up for the 1-1 1/2 and use a little shorter bolt??? Not the kind of stuff that I would normally suggest but it might get you to shooting for a while and save you some cash for the time being. If there is enough stock on the bracket I try to grind it as even as possible. I have had a similar problem with a RH bow and I made a shim to put behind the sight bracket and used longer bolts....Just an idea to get you out of a bind maybe...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just went out again today and shot, and it's fixed. I have JUST ENOUGH adjustment. I'm thinking it must have been a mechanics issue before. Got it hitting well at 20 and 30 yds. I'll move to my 40 and 50 yd pins later this week. Texas, thanks for your input, however.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same issue on my 82nd. It shot well at 20 and 30 and was off at longer distance. Turned out I had to move my rest about a 1/32" and it was fixed.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

On MOST modern bows you don't "RUN OUT OF ADJUSTMENT" without something else being wrong. I only say MOST, because I'm sure somewhere out there, there is ONE, but none that I've ever seen.

Hey Matt, this might sound a little redneck but here goes, could you grind the sight bracket down enough to make up for the 1-1 1/2 and use a little shorter bolt???
No that doesn't sound "Redneck," just uninformed. Why use a grinder for a job meant to be done with an ALLEN WRENCH????
Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

On MOST modern bows you don't "RUN OUT OF ADJUSTMENT" without something else being wrong. I only say MOST, because I'm sure somewhere out there, there is ONE, but none that I've ever seen.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't imagine what. My rest is good, as I already set centershot, but that could even possibly be tweaked some I suppose. I'll see how it hits out at longer distances, and go from there.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Fork Horn

No that doesn't sound "Redneck," just uninformed. Why use a grinder for a job meant to be done with an ALLEN WRENCH????

But if you just used a allen wrench how would you justify having a grinder in your bow shop....HUM?.....I have a lathe in mine and if need be i'll turn down my sight bracket so I can shoot around corners next.........
Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

In fact I'll usally chuck up my whole bow in there as soon as I get more than 1 arrow out of the group.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

My head hurts,,,LOL... check your center shot to see if your in line. And then adjudt the rest right or left accordingly
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

That's what I was thinking, but I can't imagine what. My rest is good, as I already set centershot, but that could even possibly be tweaked some I suppose. I'll see how it hits out at longer distances, and go from there.
Matt,
You're centershot may be different than you think. Re-sight the bow in on a 20yd pin, and re-try a walkback tune. If your arrows fall like this " / " move the rest 1/16 or 1/32" to the right, and re-sight the top pin at 20yds again and repeat the walkback. If they fall like this " \ " move the rest to the left, and repeat. The only other possible thing I can think of is that you're correct drawlength is considerable shorter than what you are shooting and you're pulling the string out of alignment which is resulting in poor nock travel, throwing the arrows off of center.

If you can't get enough adjustment, then start moving your rest, until something clicks enough to get ONE pin sighted in, and work from there.

Where the BT guys on this one???????

Quick Reply: Ran out of sight adjustment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.