Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ran out of sight adjustment.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ran out of sight adjustment.

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

On MOST modern bows you don't "RUN OUT OF ADJUSTMENT" without something else being wrong. I only say MOST, because I'm sure somewhere out there, there is ONE, but none that I've ever seen.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't imagine what. My rest is good, as I already set centershot, but that could even possibly be tweaked some I suppose. I'll see how it hits out at longer distances, and go from there.
Matt,
You're centershot may be different than you think. Re-sight the bow in on a 20yd pin, and re-try a walkback tune. If your arrows fall like this " / " move the rest 1/16 or 1/32" to the right, and re-sight the top pin at 20yds again and repeat the walkback. If they fall like this " \ " move the rest to the left, and repeat. The only other possible thing I can think of is that you're correct drawlength is considerable shorter than what you are shooting and you're pulling the string out of alignment which is resulting in poor nock travel, throwing the arrows off of center.

If you can't get enough adjustment, then start moving your rest, until something clicks enough to get ONE pin sighted in, and work from there.

Where the BT guys on this one???????
That's how I set my centershot (walkback tuning). My arrows were falling /, and I adjusted accordingly. I creeped tuned, and then began sighting in. However, I was out shooting yesterday, and I'm just fine. I realy think it was a canting issue before (I shoot on a slight slope in my yard). I have my 40yd pin pretty dialed in, and will start working on my 50 and see how it goes (no I'm not going to shoot anything in the field at these yardages, but I want to be proficient). Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

My brother and I both had the same issues with our 82's. We shot RH so was the opposite of what you had.

I set up the center shot with a laser and ended up exactly opposite as you did.Sight out of adjustment and still hitting 2 inches left.Moved my rest to the right and fixed that issue. I haven't tuned the bow yet as was waiting for the string to settle. I'm interested to see how it walk back tunes and broadhead tunes since I had to move the rest just to getthe sight to work. I'm thinking it will be an interesting process.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is your centershot set at?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 AM

I used to see this all the time. Most often when folks hadn't shot in a while. It was likely a form issue. When not on your form the first thing to go is throwing your arm "out" or away from the body....left hits for a Righty and right hits for a Lefty.
ALSO:..Don't always believe a center shot guage. A modern bow is a technical machine and as such they have a mind of thier own....just because a guage says its in center doesn't mean it will be the center throughout the shot sequence! Trust your arrow hits and adjust from there.

My Tuning sequence....Eyeball the centershot, Get it close by using an arrow on the string and line up. Next PAPER TUNE ...and don't tell me you don't have a tuner. You have a cardboard box? You got a tuner. Just cut a hole through two opposing sides and tape a piece of paper over it tight.
Once paper tuned do a walkback and see if your arrows are drifting is they are, adjust accordingly and then go back to the paper and see what happens...You will be suprised at the how perfect the holes now are...and if not make note of the tear. This is "tuned" with your set up, and you are now done.

We can throw all the "rules" of tuning around all we want but every different bow/rest/arrow spine/nocking mechanism/release and form will change things. Therefore, not all the rules apply to all the setups!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my 40yd pin pretty dialed in, and will start working on my 50 and see how it goes
Does that mean you are ready to play?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I really need to get in the habit of visiting the forums more (I'm all thrown off on this summer schedule teacher's have to endure), I didn't see all these new posts.

RJ, I'll get a measurement for you tomorrow, I'm getting ready to hit the bed.

Ben, you and Rob will both kill me, I'm not to your levels yet

Dryridge, thanks. I didn't paper tune it. I may have to try that.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

What is your centershot set at?
Matt, centershot is 13/16" from inside of riser to center of the rest prongs.