Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new to archery..question

Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new to archery..question

the bow string is turning or something and when I draw the string covers the peep sight. It was fine when I drew back at the archery shop but now I cant even see through the peep sight because of the string. what should I do?? thanks for anyone who can help.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new to archery..question

d-loop?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My nock is a d loop but Im only having problems with the peep sight. When I draw the string turns and the peep hole is covered almost by the string.. Know what I mean? I'm new to archery so hopefully I can get this figured out.. I feel dumb
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

the reason I asked if you had a dloop is,

sometimes if the peep is turning, then the D-loop could be loose, if it is then try to tighten it up after you align it and the peep opening,

if it is tight, then try to twist the dloop so that it is aligned with your peep.

what kind of bow? do you have a string stop/surpessor?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The wayI have always fixed that is to put the bow in the press and take the sting off and rotate it until the peep rolls into the right place, of course I am kinda old school and dont shoot d-loop's. What is happening is when you draw your bow the string is rolling (which is normal) but it will interfere with your peep if not adjusted correctly, which is where all the loops came into play and they protect your string (I shoot a rope release)...
If you are limited to a shop,I would suggest going back there and getting them to fix it for you!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is this on a new bow?

Was the string shot in before installing the peep?

I dare to say the string has crept some and needs to be twisted back up.

If the string continues to creep then replace it with a good after market string and cable.

Gibblet here on the forum makes the best strings and cablesI have come across in the last 46 years.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kanga has a good point. Most factory strings are made with inferior workmanship and thus, the keep on creeping (elongating--most say stretch). Some eventually settle down, some don't. God aftermarket strings is the best answer. With all the ones I've used (Winner's Choice, Prostrings, Vapor Trail, Gibblet- aka Bucknasty) you install them, shoot 50 shots or so and then install the peep. After that they rarely creep and no peep rotation. Of all these I like Bucknasty the best for quality and price.

Something else you can try is what Texas said above. Don't get the idea that a string loop is used for aligning a peep. It can help, but is just a bandaid for an underlying problem. This is not what a string loop is for. You can add or subtract twists from a string to reloacte the static position of the peep so i tolls around into position at full draw. You can further fine tune this by moving string strands from one side to the other. Doing this be certain to have the same amount of strands on each side of the peep to balance things out.

Push comes to shove, you're too cheap to buy good strings, or whatever reason you can always use a peep with a tube aligner. Again, just a bandaid for the underlying problem, but it works.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

its a bear lights out bow.. Thanks for the advice everyone..
Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Just take it down to Stengers in Addyston on River Rd. and ask for Mike, he will probably fix it for free. While your there you should take a look at his custom strings that he makes, BEST AROUND!!!. Wait, you probably already go there. Oh, and he also has a really cool archery range upstairs thats free.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I go to stengers. Didn't know about the archery range upstairs though. Thanks