Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning

Old 07-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Default Broadhead tuning

how does this chart work??? if i move the rest won't it move my practice heads aswell???
Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 AM

Default RE: Broadhead tuning

Yes, it will move where your field points are hitting. The idea is to have broadheads and fieldpoints group at the same point of impact. Once you achieve that, then move the sights, not before.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Yes, it will move where your field points are hitting. The idea is to have broadheads and fieldpoints group at the same point of impact. Once you achieve that, then move the sights, not before.
That's exactly correct. It sometimes is just not possible however to get both heads shooting to the same point of aim. You have to have everything setup properly. I have a link you can check out that will help you to see if your on the right track. http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Paper tune the bow first, that may solve the problem.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/tuning/papertuning/indexpt.cfm

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/tuning/papertuning/papertuning.cfm
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM

sorry guys but this chart did not work at all...i am so mad right now...all this chart did was make me loose 3 more arrows....im a lefty....my broadhead was going left about 8 inches and the hight was perfict..so according to the chart i move the rest right....right???...all it did was move the practice head like i stated and i'd move my sight untill everything was as far right as possible and the broadhead was still going left of my practice head...any thoughts would be greatly needed....thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you read through my link? you have to paper tune before you do anything. After that you mus understand that anyting you do will change the impact point of your arrows in relation to your sight's. Therefore after paper tuning you need to shoot at very close range at first to get your pins set so your on target, then move back to longer ranges and see how you heads hit. At that point you make very very minor adjustments. You also need to have good arrows, spined correctly with enough helical or ofset on the vanes or feathers to control the arrow.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

Did you read through my link? you have to paper tune before you do anything. .
You do? I never knew that and have tuned a bunch of setups. I find bareshaft tuning much more sensitive and easier to tune than the paper. And then aftewards, I see good tears in the paper anyway and usually if done right BH's hit where fields do.

But I have seen a whole bunch of people paper tune and then shoot BH's and have to make a bunch of adjustments.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM

whats the diffrence between the two??? and how do i make a paper tunning bord thing???...i don't have an archery shop
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Broadhead tuning and paper tuning are 2 different things and will have 2 different results .

I like to hunt , and shoot fixed broadheads , broadhead tuning is the litmus test for me , paper tuning a waist of time , havent done it since I learned it was a useless exersise .

Broadhead tuning ,

If, you , your bow , and your arrow are close to being tuned when you move your rest slightly left to right , your field tipped arrow will move slighlty on the target but the broadhead tipped arrow "of the same weight" will move in the same direction but a futher distance , say at twenty yards the field point arrow moves 2 inches , the broadhead tipped arrow "should" move 4 inches in the same direction . Same for vertical movement .If your bow is not tuned well , If you are over bowed , if your arrows dont spine match your bows power very closely or are too weak of a spine , and your form is not consistant , good grip , consistant , and so on , broadhead tuneing will give you fitts .
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 AM

yeah ijimmyit got me many fitts alright...i don't think its a consistant problim b/c normaly when im shoot practice tips i have to shoot 3 diffrent dots for 3 arrows or i'll robbin hood everytime...so last night...i tryed the chart...and i shot at the same target..so i shot about 1 inch group with 3 practice arrows and same with braodheads i was slicing off fletching almost every shot....it wasfunnyonce i moved everything to the right i started to move everything back to the left it seemed like it was getting closer then i ran out of sunlight....im going to shoot again tonight and and try moving everything to the left???

Quick Reply: Broadhead tuning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.