Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning

Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead tuning

I guess we will have to just disagree on this one. I find paper tuning to be very sensitive to changes in rest postion, hand postion, shooting form etc. Like I said though I use a combo of both, but I rarely have a bow that was properly paper tuned that won't shoot broadheads and field points to the same impact point, provided the arrows have enough fletch to control broadheads in the first place.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

see shops use it because its simple. But most people do not understand this.
I was under the impression that most shops use paper tuning because they are limited in space. If you only have 15-20yds to shoot in it would be hard to walkback, group or even bareshaft tune with any effectiveness. Paper tuning IS easy but that does not mean it can't be effective if done correctly. No tuning method is effective if done incorrectly. If a shop only has the short range to work with better to papertune than nothing at all.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

see shops use it because its simple. But most people do not understand this.
I was under the impression that most shops use paper tuning because they are limited in space. If you only have 15-20yds to shoot in it would be hard to walkback, group or even bareshaft tune with any effectiveness. Paper tuning IS easy but that does not mean it can't be effective if done correctly. No tuning method is effective if done incorrectly. If a shop only has the short range to work with better to papertune than nothing at all.
I agree bruce, not too many shops are going to be able to tune bows at 40 yards BH tuning. Its just not practical. I dont' blame them. I can move a rest 1/32" and may or may not see difference on paper, but I sure can see it with a bareshaft shot at 35 yards. And sure can set it with a thunderhead say at 50 yards.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to say it but, most shops don't know squat about tuning!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, distance most definitely magnifies any tuning issues. One of the big reasons a person should learn to do these things for their self. Doing it ourselves we can takefine tuningto a level most shops can't approach.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

LOL another big reason a person should learn to do these things for their self.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I sorta disagree. I know some guys do know but just don't care aboutcustomers equipment. I see thier equipment is done properly, thier peeps tied in nicely, so is thier nocking points, but then they did entirely different work oncustomers bow. I have helped out alot of people lately from shotty work from proshops. I sure don't know it all. And honestly, I don't get too picky anymore, because a compound is dynamic. I used to spend hours getting it perfect, and then after 500-700 shots, poundage might have creeped down, might be little out of time, etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

And honestly, I don't get too picky anymore, because a compound is dynamic. I used to spend hours getting it perfect, and then after 500-700 shots, poundage might have creeped down, might be little out of time, etc.
That is an excellent point! In my limited experience I have found the same thing. I generally retune or at least checkthe bow tune every few hundred shots or if I notice it shooting "differently".