Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning

Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead tuning

I'm a lefty like you. After getting myself hopelessly confused with articles about this and that, I asked a guy (who was also a lefty) about tuning. Basically, you have to take everything you read about tuning and reverse it. If you have photoshop or paintshop (heck Windows Paint might even work) take your chart above that you cut 'n pasted, and take the two sections "Stiff Spine Reaction" and "Weak Spine Reaction" and REVERSE them.

Edit: I just used Paint Shop Pro for you and cut/pasted/reversed the two Spine Reactions charts. Print this out and keep it, it'll help us lefties keep our bows tuned.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

Did you read through my link? you have to paper tune before you do anything. .
You do? I never knew that and have tuned a bunch of setups. I find bareshaft tuning much more sensitive and easier to tune than the paper. And then aftewards, I see good tears in the paper anyway and usually if done right BH's hit where fields do.

But I have seen a whole bunch of people paper tune and then shoot BH's and have to make a bunch of adjustments.
Bigcountry were dealing with a fellow who is new to bow tuning/broadhead tuning. I can bombard him with bare shaft tuning, paper tuning, walk back tuning, and then get started on arrow tuning, fletching configuration etc, but what he needs is to get close to on track then we can debate the merits of paper vs bare shaft tuning.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM

thanks for the advise butcha...but i look at it just to move the rest the direction you want the arrow to go...and i was shooting to day and my broadheads and P heads are shooting 1 inch groups together...for some reason its was the oppostie of opposite...i was moving my P head and my broadhead stayed the same...its weird but it worked
Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM

so basicly i used the right hand chart for my bow and it worked great????
Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Did you read through my link? you have to paper tune before you do anything. .
You do? I never knew that and have tuned a bunch of setups. I find bareshaft tuning much more sensitive and easier to tune than the paper. And then aftewards, I see good tears in the paper anyway and usually if done right BH's hit where fields do.

But I have seen a whole bunch of people paper tune and then shoot BH's and have to make a bunch of adjustments.
Bigcountry were dealing with a fellow who is new to bow tuning/broadhead tuning. I can bombard him with bare shaft tuning, paper tuning, walk back tuning, and then get started on arrow tuning, fletching configuration etc, but what he needs is to get close to on track then we can debate the merits of paper vs bare shaft tuning.
Yep, I know many a new tuner who has wasted hours on paper tuning. Including myself. In fact, he can follow the BH tuning chart without even touching paper, and come out better. No debate about it.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter1591

thanks for the advise butcha...but i look at it just to move the rest the direction you want the arrow to go...and i was shooting to day and my broadheads and P heads are shooting 1 inch groups together...for some reason its was the oppostie of opposite...i was moving my P head and my broadhead stayed the same...its weird but it worked
Hmmm, that is weird. But, hey, it worked for you! I was fortunate enough to have a bowshop about 1/2 hour away and got my bow all tweaked, tuned, and perfectly setup - by a fellow lefty bowhunter.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM

yeah, your very lucky to have a bow shop close by...the closest one to me is cabelas in Conn. about a 2 hour drive...i've tryed bow shops around me but everytime i go in and have them look at something they have no clue what it is...or if i have a question they look at me like i have 1,000 heads...there mostly just gun shops with a little archery room in the back
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I know many a new tuner who has wasted hours on paper tuning. Including myself. In fact, he can follow the BH tuning chart without even touching paper, and come out better. No debate about it.
Some great advise there , very true , if you plan on hunting why bother with anything else , IMO hunting rigs are MUCH more critical of tune , and this is the tune they require .
Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

No not really. The key is a properly paper tuned bow. Most people really don't do it correctly and then have to make a lot of adjustments later. If properly done paper tuning will almost always get you very close to where you need to be. I have done it all, bare shaft, walk back and just done the tuning chart. The fact is that paper tuning not only will have your arrows shooting better, but will help you to understand what minor and major changes in your form, rest position, nock point location will do to arrow flight. Again the key is proper paper tuning. The other methods work, and work well, but paper tuning will show you things that you won't see right away using other methods.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
bigcountry

No not really. The key is a properly paper tuned bow. Most people really don't do it correctly and then have to make a lot of adjustments later. If properly done paper tuning will almost always get you very close to where you need to be. I have done it all, bare shaft, walk back and just done the tuning chart. The fact is that paper tuning not only will have your arrows shooting better, but will help you to understand what minor and major changes in your form, rest position, nock point location will do to arrow flight. Again the key is proper paper tuning. The other methods work, and work well, but paper tuning will show you things that you won't see right away using other methods.
Not really. What most people don't understand is papertuning is not sensitive enough to really tune a bow. But most people don't understandthat long ranger broadhead tuning and bare shaft tuning is much more sensitive and works better. Most people like the paper because its simple, and see shops use it because its simple. But most people do not understand this.

Quick Reply: Broadhead tuning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.