Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

up hill shots 45 degrees or more?

Old 03-02-2003, 08:42 PM

Default up hill shots 45 degrees or more?

I hunt in steep mountans and most of my shots are up or down hill. For shooting up hill I have to aim very high to hit the vitals. Is there a tree stand site that will work for up hill shots?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:49 PM

Default RE: up hill shots 45 degrees or more?

A sight will not help you, if you have to aim high on uphill shots it is because your form is going to pot as you raise your bow. Uphill shots are the same as down hill shots, the arrow will arc less, and will normally hit high, meaning you have to aim low. the speed of most modern bows negates almost all of this, and for the most part you can aim dead on.

If you are having problems like you stated it is most likely form related.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Tomorrow morning I am ordering a No Peep for my bow. THe link below will take you to the page that describes this unit. But it also covers form problems and shooting high ot low on uphill or downhill shots. I have not studied it yet bit it makes sense anf it is worth your reading.

http://www.timberline-archery.com/default1.asp
Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Rack-attack and Dick are right, you' ll hit high on uphill and downhill shots, both. The NoPeep is awesome. I put one on last week and love it. Get it straight from Timberline, so you know that you have the 2003 version.
Trebark
Old 03-03-2003, 01:15 PM

You aim at the same point of aim, basicaly whether uphill or downhill. The issue is basicaly horizontal distance. So 144 yards uphill at 45 degrees is only 100 yards along the ground, and you would use your 100 yd pin, if you had one.

A 45 deg shot uphill will almost always screw up some other aspect of your form, and so you may loose velocity or not find yourself shooting through the peep square, or a bunch of things.

Finding the base of the triangle is usualy easy in a forest, for instance if a deer is standing next to a tree you can look at that tree at the same level you are on a stand, or a hillside, and take that straight distance. It isn' t as easy always on a bare hillside.

I had a nopeep for a while a few years ago, I understand how they help with hand torque, or at least reveal it, but what do they do to improve uphill downhill. It might help with peep not centered, though not necesarily since basicaly the NP just aligns the riser, not the string, so the back of your arrow could be anywhere.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:48 PM

Ossage is right. I dont remember where I read this in the past, but " always use the true horizontal distance." I have used this for many years and it has proved to be very accurate.
__
ll
ll <--- tree stand or up/down hill
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll 10 yrd 20 yrd 30 yrd
ll_____________ l______________l______________l
<----------------- true horizontal distance ----------->

(this is a feeble attempt to demonstrate)
Old 03-03-2003, 07:55 PM

Oh man, my 10, 20 and 30 yrd marks on the horitonal line shifted during posting.
Oh well. If you get the horizontal distance right but are still shooting high or low
then shooting form is probably the problem.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys! That NO PEEP web site is extreamly informitive. My form must go to hell when shooting uphill. Ive had to pass up a few big bulls at further yardages because not knowing where or how low my arrows where hitting.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

I ordered my No Peep from Timberline Archery this morning and since they use the U.S. Post Office it could be here as early as tomorrow or maybe Wednesday.

I have studied its features and theories for some time and I know it will be a GREAT improvement for me.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

It will take time to become well versed in the No Peep use but as I understand it when shooting dowhhill or uphill we tend to change our draw enough to make the difference because of the angle. The No Peep is supposed to prevent this since it would show your inconsistency. You would have to draw to the wall to align the NO Peep properly.

I usually draw to the wall anyway but on treestand shots I have taken, I am almost certain that I was not at the wall.

I' m also looking forward to low light shooting oportunities.

Quick Reply: up hill shots 45 degrees or more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.