Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Replacing strings

Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Replacing strings

How often do you replace your bow strings? I have had the same string for two years, it does not have any major frays. I use bow string wax often, but did not know of I should replace it every couple of years regardless to be on the safe side. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Replacing strings

If you put your bow in a press and unwind the strings ina few places you will be able to tell if you have any strands in the string broken. If you have any strands broken or really worn I would replace them as they are really not that expensive. I always keep an extra set of strings and cables around for the bows I have, in factI just ordered a set from Dan over at MeanV for my commander that I just got a few months ago....He was really a pleasure to deal with and everything went smooth!!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I replace my sting & cables every June or July this gives me plenty of time to get the new set broke in before season, But this year I bought a new bow and as much as I dislike Factory stings And cables I will leave these on until next june as I just bought the bow on THursday of this week. BROWNING MIRAGE Very Sweet Bow!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually get about 2500 shots or so before I replace a string. I replace it even if it doesn't look visibly worn. Mainly for peace of mind.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that string should be replaced every season and harness systems every other year.... as a general reference. Personally I like a new system every year to maximize my rigs performance.