Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

buried arrows

Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Default buried arrows

I got a new "block like" target from Cabelas and I'm having a hell of a time getting my arrows out of the block [:@]. . .Anybody familiar with this problem? I'm wide open to suggestions.

Facts: I'm shooting a Bowtech Alliset at 62#, with some freebie Easton Epics(not sure of the weight), with standard plain-jane fieldpoints at 23 yards.They are penetrating DEEP!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buried arrows

Are you saying you are tearing up fletchings because they are over penetrating, or that they are "sticking" and you cannot remove them?

If they are burying too deep... then sell your bowtech and get a slower bow like a Mathews.

If they are actually sticking, then your bow is probably shooting so fast that its melting a thin layer of the styrophoam and somewhat fusing into the target. Its friction... it happens. Woodys arrow lube or even a bar of Ivory Soap will work. Just put some on your arrow shaft on about the front 30% of the arrow. Should last 10 shots or so.

The target just isn't super high quality anyway. The ones from Cabelas, Dis-nicks ("Richard's"), Bass Pro etc etc... they are all the same. They just won't hardly stop modern equipment at much above 55#s.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you bought yourself a broad head target... Is your target layered, or solid? There is no reason you can't pull arrows out of a layered target, I've blasted many layered targetsover 300 FPS with heavy arrows, and what didn't go though were no problem pulling out.

Or eat more spinach!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Try some arrow lube.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MECHDOC

Try some arrow lube.
OR KY Jelly... I'm not trying to be cute. I use it for 3d works better than arrow lube and cost next to nothing.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tip Rev.I have never tried that before.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Breakin' out the KY!! Right on Rev! lol . . .Well the block is solid, and some blue plastic/rubber type material is coming out with my arrows as well (very small amount). I will definitly try again tomorrow with some KY, ora suitable alternative. Great ideas Gents. .much appreciated!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

hmmmm, explain to the wife why you need ky to go shooting. that should be a good one You can try it, arrow lube, armorall, or just rub some ivory soap on the shafts. Another thing you can do is get practice points that are wider than the shaft of the arrow, like Gold Tip EZ Pull points. That helps some on foam targets, but not with bag targets.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

hmmmm, explain to the wife why you need ky to go shooting. that should be a good one You can try it, arrow lube, armorall, or just rub some ivory soap on the shafts. Another thing you can do is get practice points that are wider than the shaft of the arrow, like Gold Tip EZ Pull points. That helps some on foam targets, but not with bag targets.
Hey, my wife know's I shoot and I'll try a rubber duck if it helps with my efforts!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: joshw020

Breakin' out the KY!! Right on Rev! lol . . .Well the block is solid, and some blue plastic/rubber type material is coming out with my arrows as well (very small amount). I will definitly try again tomorrow with some KY, ora suitable alternative. Great ideas Gents. .much appreciated!!
Well Josh, it is a broad head target. You shouldn't have problems pulling out broad heads, if you do then use some lube.
I wouldn't recommend shooting field tips into that type target. They are hard to pull out, one reason you may be having pulling out arrows.

Quick Reply: buried arrows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.