Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Please Help!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Please Help!!!

I was drawing my 82nd back with my fingers for my profile pick and when I let up, the cable rolled of the top cam. I shot it 100+ times today and had no problem. Now I bring it home, try to take a picture with it and this happens. I put it back on with my hands (I don't have a press), but I want to minimize the damage. I did not dry fire it, but it made a very loud snap when it happened. What should I look for?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Please Help!!!

By the way, I just put some custom vapor trails (lime and black) on on Monday, but I have already taken at least 400 shots. I am thinking that they may not have been put on correctly, but I don't know. Any ideas!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 PM

Here is what some people said on Archery Talk:

Your bow is fine but most likely needs to be worked on a little. The string needs some twist in it. It is over rotated which allows the cable post to push the cable out of it's track. I always build and replace the strings on the airbornes 1/4" shorter. The factory strings are twisted a lot already but can handle several more twist if you pursue my suggestion. Add about 12-15 twist in the string.
I like this idea. What do you guys think?

Chances are the bow will be alright, but you really need to have it checked out!
More than likely, as you were letting down on the bow you torqued the bow in your hands which caused the string to ride up the sides of the cam grove, thus causing the string to slip off the cam.
Good luck with the bow!

I hope he is right. Everybody else said something to this effect.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Either reason seems plausable. The only way to know for sure is to have a compitent bow mechanic take a look at it. I would under no circumstances attempt to draw or worse yet draw fire the bow until this is complete. There are others out here who have had a bow come apart at full draw and that will take years to get over.

You also want to have your shop check your string carefully, especially around the cam. a small nick or snag in the string could cause some really unfortunate things to happen if it lets go later on.

Just a couple of other small tid bits of advice.......

1) Never....never....never.....draw your bow back with your fingers or release without an arrow nocked and pointed in a safe direction. This is how dry fires happen all the time. People simply "forget" that there is not an arrow nocked and trigger their release, or when drawing with fingers let the string simply get away from them (normally when letting down). I see at least 2 of these a year at the shop I work at.

2) If you do need to draw your bow without an arrow, use something like the "Third Hand Can't fire release handle"

This will ensure that you don't let go of the string when drawing or letting down, it also gives a more natural draw cycle than trying it with your fingers and may have prevented your string from coming off the cam track.