Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QAD Ultra Rest

Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default QAD Ultra Rest

After many years of fighting the WB, I've decided to give up. I ordered a new QAD Ultra rest. I'm sure the instructions will have it, but was curious if anyone can give advice and show how to attach the clamp to the cable or to post any useful 'gotchas' as I try to install this myself. I try to learn so I'd like to do it on my own with the clamp provided. If this doesn't work out, I'll end up taking it to the shop to tie it in.

Any pictures of what it should look like and/or tips on instructions and fine tuning?

Thanks in advance.

Denny
Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QAD Ultra Rest

I drew a sketch of my bow and filled in the dimensions of the rest that was on the bow; shelf to bottom of the arrow, side of sight window to edge of arrow. When I installed my QAD I adjusted it until I got the same dimensions. When I paper tuned the bow I was really close and only needed minor adjustments.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an issue getting my clamp to be in the right position, 2-3" below the rest after it self adjusts when you draw. The problem was the serving. I couldnt get the clamp low enough without getting on top of the serving. After 10 minutes or so of messing with the string lengththe problem was fixed. Then I read a few posts around the internet about the clampor just tying into the cablecausing binary cam bows to go out of sync. I dont know if thats true or not but Im working on finding out. Anyone have any info on this? Will the rest operate properly if it is tied into the cable slide?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I have seen after tuning some of these rests. I like to serve the cord from the QAD to the downward cable. The lower you position the cable on the downward cable the faster the rest will flip out of the way (1 or 2 inches can make a big difference). Where you attach the cord to the downward cable is very important.The rest needs to be flipped up all the way with no slack at full draw, and it can't be to taunt either, this is the hardest thing to get exactly right.Also, most people will use the TL1 launcher which is longer and allows more clearance. However the TL1 launcher will most likely cause a clearance problem if you shoot cock feather up (You may have to remove the top bar and loose the full containment unless you use feathers). Once you get it right it really tunes great. QAD has great customer support so call them if you need advice.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys. Now I just have to sit and wait.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

what bow will you be putting it on?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

mathews outback
Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

Denny,

I had some issues with the rest on my 82nd airborne and I bought it for the same reasons as you did, a WB that kept acting up...
The rest itself was perfect, I just had bought an older model with a straight mounting arm. QAD gave me good info and sent me a new one for nearly nothing. They made the mistake of sending me a RH for my LH model and they corrected that by sending me a LH arm for free.....so QAD are good honest people to deal with.

I just looked at the instructions and followed them and I had no trouble installing.
To avoid the out of sync problem I drew the bow back to get the normal launcher in a 90 degrees position without screwing the clamp tight.And then Ijust moved the clamp up 1/3 inch, checked if the launcher stayed up 90 degrees and did that again, just to have as less of strain or pullon the cables as possible to get the launcher up.
Works fine now....

About your WB, you should try and set it with a lasertuner such as the Easy eye or the laserplane.....that fixed it without all the tuning.....

Frank

Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, thanks for the advice.

I've tried with the WB for years and I did shot pretty good with it but it. Last week I was in the shop for a new serving and the guy showed me how bad I was off center shot with the WB. Honestly, it's a wonder I was able to group anything. We moved it into center shot on the Mathews and all my problems started again. with the cable guard, there just isn't a lot of room so I was getting clearance problems and that's when I started noticing all the noise (that others have talked about.) I thought I had it squared away and shooting good and then the true test came with a BH. When I saw that fly out of there, I gave up on this bow.

It's already onto my Hoyt MT Sport and I'm sure will tune fine.

In the back of my mind, I think I just wanted a new toy to play with and was looking for an excuse to change.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Center shot with the QAD on most Mathews bows seems to fall around 11/16. My Drenelin is right at 12/16.

Quick Reply: QAD Ultra Rest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.