Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers, it is!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Feathers, it is!

Hey guys...

I was at the archery shop's indoor range the other day, with my Reflex Highlander and the Beman ICS Hunter 340's with standard vanes and with helical feathers. (Remember I ordered a half dozen with vanes and a half dozen with feathers from Hunters Friend?)

Anyway, I wanted to see the difference, listen to the arrows, check the groupings, and basically, really just study the difference at an indoor range where outdoor wind won't be a factor.

29" Beman ICS Hunter 340, standard vanes, 100 grain tip: Great arrow, flies perfectly straight and true. At 20 yards, groupings were about 1" to 1/2". No complaints. Basic common arrow, everyone's got one.

29" Beman ICS Hunter 340, helical feathers, 100 grain tip: Beautiful arrow, flies faster and amazingly more accurate than vanes. At 20 yards, groupings were about 3/4" to Oh-so-close-the-arrows-touched-and-ruffled-the-feathers!. No complaints at all. Am simply blown away by feathers!

The only thing I discovered was the vanes were virtually silent. All I heard was the slight {Doink} sound upon release. With the feathers, I heard a {Woosh} sound from the arrow immediately after the release. But at only 20 yards, I could see the increase in fps. With vanes, I'm shooting 267 fps. I don't know what I'm shooting with feathers... probably 270 maybe 272.

I love the accuracy and the looks of feathers. I'm hooked! But when bowhunting, it its raining, I'll shoot vanes. If its nice, I'll stick with feathers.

Anyone else played around with vanes vs feathers or perhaps Blazers or some other fletching?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feathers, it is!

If it works for you go with it but one word of caution: feathers and vanes might have different points of impact.

I know for me it was about 2" higher at 20 yards. Not sure why, but they did fly different.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm... With my setup at 20 yards at that indoor range, both arrows were hitting the same spot on the paper target/backstop.

Maybe at 30 yards, or even 40 yards, then yeah, I would imagine the feathered arrow would have a slightly different point of impact. Maybe a tad lower due to the increased FOC. I guess I should try some longer range shots and see if feathers really do slow down after 20 yards.

All I know is that I'm having fun practicing with my new arrows! [8D]

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 PM

I typically have an easier jobtuning with feathers, they increase FOC and make an overall lighter arrow.

Vanes are water proof, quieter in flight and quieter if you accidentally touch them, like when sitting with the bow across your lap.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 PM

I compared Blazers and 2 1/4 Gateway feathers earlier this year.

Both worked well but I was hooked on the feathers! They looked so good and shot just as well. I understand what you are talking about. They are just cool!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

I love feathers and i am going to hunt with them. I kept one of my old bows and have blazers for it, for when I am hunting in bad weather.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have played with all sorts of fletching. I am 200% a feathers guy.

I'll put upwith any slight disadvantage to reap the benefits of the many advantages.

Dan
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I have played with all sorts of fletching. I am 200% a feathers guy.

I'll put upwith any slight disadvantage to reap the benefits of the many advantages.

Dan
I agree with this 200% LOL. The only disadvantage I have ever noticed is durability when shooting groups. The feathers tear up more easily. But that is offset by the fact that feathers can use fletch tape!! I can take off the old feathers and put on new feathers in the time it used to take to just get the vanes and glue off the shaft. And they are ready to go as soon as the feather is put on. I won't say I'll never use vanes but when I am going to use an arrow for hunting it will have feathers on it.