Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

UPDATE! noisy arrows during draw?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Default UPDATE! noisy arrows during draw?

I heard of a tip the other day. Wax your arrows with carnuba wax to reduce the noise of your arrows sliding across the bristles of WB styled rests. I haven't tried it yet and was wondering if someone here has tried it.
I've been tempted to buy the Hostage Pro, but my Vapor arrows make WAY too much noise on the bristles. I remember reading that other members were holding off on the Hostage for the same reason.

Thoughts??/comments???

Thanks,
txmm
Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: noisy arrows during draw?

Use a piece of 0000 steel wool to apply it and it will help. Best remedy is to make a dip tube, fill it with high gloss exterior spar varnish, dip and hang them. Ya got a make sure the end of the shaftis pluged. Or you can spray them with a high gloss laqure. Adds about 4 grns.

I haven't used that rest so I don't know about that.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

I heard of a tip the other day. Wax your arrows with carnuba wax to reduce the noise of your arrows sliding across the bristles of WB styled rests. I haven't tried it yet and was wondering if someone here has tried it.
I've been tempted to buy the Hostage Pro, but my Vapor arrows make WAY too much noise on the bristles. I remember reading that other members were holding off on the Hostage for the same reason.

Thoughts??/comments???

Thanks,
txmm
I've heard of this "dilemma" before. There can be slight noisegenerated when drawing. Personally, I've shot deer as close as 10yrds a few times, andthey didn'tpick up on it. Depends on the arrows I guess. Real fine steel wool should help this though.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Camo arrows are bad for it and some aluminums.. I would go to a carbon or carbon/alum. arrow or switch to a drop away rest.. This will equal no notacible noise during draw...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: demoIL

Camo arrows are bad for it and some aluminums.. I would go to a carbon or carbon/alum. arrow or switch to a drop away rest.. This will equal no notacible noise during draw...
I use a drop with silent coat prongs. I've often wondered if my hearing is just that much better.Actualy the hunter/camo cx maxima has a quieter finish than the black shaft. Neithers quiet. I think it the dip that they are claiming gives the shaft greater foc so if anyone dips them as I mentioned above, you get the same thing. I only dip them as far back as need be.

The carbon aluminum is way quieter than the aluminum carbon but no arrow I've shot is better than Beman hunter arrows for quietness. Why they can't all be like those I have no clue. Almost like dropping a knife through warm butter.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Well, I'm shooting BlackHawk Vapor Pro 5000 arrows with a ripcord dropaway. I'm having "issues" with the rest (i'll get into later, maybe) and I'm considering the Hostage Pro rest. I've got SO many Vapors i really don't want to change if I don'thave to. At my local shop the other day I checked the noise of Vapors vs. Bemans on the Hostage bristles. Both made some noise but the Vapors are noticably louder,...too loud for my liking. Also, my son shoots GoldTip Light arrows with a WB and they are also a litte less noisy.

I'm gonna keep playing around with stuff to try a reduce the noise a little.

Thanks for the replys,
TXMM
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Update:
Okay, I waxed some arrows with the 0000 steel wool as suggested, and it worked! I talked to the owner of my local shop and he allowed me to tryout a Hostage Pro. There is "almost" no noise during the draw with the waxed Vapors. I bought the rest and I love it so far. Shooting some TF 4" feathers with it for now. (BTW, I'm loving the feathers). Also, shooting with my Slicktricks and I have no problems so far. I'm still trying to tweak my form and grip to tighten up and get better consistency.

MeanV, I may be getting some of your feathers soon, hopefully! If I can sneak em past mama....[8D]

Thanks to all who have helped me out,

TXMM