Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

punched myself in the face

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: punched myself in the face

I believe the knots that are used to tie d loops are designed to tighten and keep tightening.

Also never had mine slip, move, come loose.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I burned the knots into a ball, really.................

anyway, PM'd MeanV

thx

Frank
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM

The inertia from the string coming to a sudden stop can put enough energy into the knots (actually hitches) of the loop to cause them to come untied. The problem is not that they pull through. If the hitch actually comes undone it doesn't matter whether there are stoppers (used to stop it from pulling through) melted or tied into it, it's undone. The solution to this is to get a loop material that resists coming unhitched. BCY makes a good one. I've seen and heard of several people having the same problem using that cheaper camo loop material. Another solution is to use a knot glue like Pliobond or Selly's Urethane bond (used in fishing applications) on the hitch to stop it from unwrapping.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Kodiak,

I tried the camo type and that came loose pretty quick, then I tried one with black stiffer type and that held longer. I have tied a Dloop on my tomkat and that stays put for over a year now, so I guess it must be the direct force of the string hitting the stopper and me not being able to tie the knots hard enough.
I pull on both knots with enough string left before I cut them, holding the bowstring with one hand and the Dloop string rolled onto a screwdriver.
Actually I need to give credit to the post Greg made how to tie a Dloop. He explained it perfectly.

Frank
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

Hey Kodiak,

I tried the camo type and that came loose pretty quick, then I tried one with black stiffer type and that held longer. I have tied a Dloop on my tomkat and that stays put for over a year now, so I guess it must be the direct force of the string hitting the stopper and me not being able to tie the knots hard enough.
I pull on both knots with enough string left before I cut them, holding the bowstring with one hand and the Dloop string rolled onto a screwdriver.
Actually I need to give credit to the post Greg made how to tie a Dloop. He explained it perfectly.

Frank
Yep, Greg did a great job on that one.

Keep in mind that your 82nd is generating a lot more power than the TomKat and that puts a lot more energy into those knots when they slam to a stop.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

You should literally be able to do pullups on a properly tied D-loop and not have it come untied.

The best way I have found it to burn and ball the ends of the loop material before I tie the knots. Once the loop is tied on, put a pair of needle nose pliers between the loop and the string and spread it apart just about as hard as you can. This will snug up the knots and keep them from moving.

I will add a plug for the Viper Archery D-Loop pliers. Used on your loop it will make it so tight that it simply will not move......ever.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I think pulling the knots tight with a liberal amount of string left to pull at will make them tighter then when you have a short piece of string. Even when you use the pliers method.
I think the post Greg made how to serve and tie a D-loop works the best.
I have one on my tomkat for more than a year now, shooting more than 250 arrows a week.

but thx for the reply

Frank
Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank,

I thought about this today while out on a walk. When I replaced my string I was having the same issue with my loops and decided to put a small drop of goatuff on the D-loop where the loop crosses the knot and that works great. Just be sure not to get any on the serving or you will have to repalce that too.

Replace that loop on the Tomkat. I'm amazed it's lasted this long with that much shooting.