Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length ?

Old 02-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Draw length ?

I have a question about my draw length. The current bow I am shooting is a mathews q2xl, 29 inch cam, with a string loop added. When I draw my bow back, the string settles on the tip of my nose, in the corner of my mouth, and one of the fletches touches lightly against my face. This feels very comfortable. When I was about 19 years old I had my draw length measured at a pro shop and they said that it was 30 inches. So every bow that I shot from there on out was a 30 inch bow, shot off the string. I visited another pro shop last night and the guy there told me he would bet that I have a 29 inch draw since everything feels right with my bow set up that way, and that the first pro shop might have measured me to long in draw length. When I shot a 30 inch bow off the string I never really had any problems with slapping my arm, which is common with to long a length. I know that the majority of people on here state that a loop doesn' t actually add to your draw length, but that it changes your anchor. I am wondering since the 29 inch cam and loop feels so comfortable to me, is if I have always had a 29 inch draw length and have just gotten use to anchoring slightly different. It would explain why it feels right, I guess. So if the loop actually doesn' t add to draw length, and the 29 inch cam fits me so well, then it looks like the guy last night could be right. I have ordered a mathews lx, with a 29 inch cam, going by what feels right to me now on my q2xl. I hope I made the right choice. What do you all think? Please give me your opinions so I feel better about my decision.

Thank you

Bhunter32
Old 02-27-2003, 08:42 AM

Default RE: Draw length ?

Did he tell you that on that bow if you change from 80 % to 65% you lose 1/2 " of draw length? It won' t matter if you shoot 80%. But if you want 65 % you probably need him to order you a 29.5" cam.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is backwards your anchor point is the same but the draw is longer with a loop

I agree you need the 29.5 Cam
Old 02-27-2003, 10:36 AM

A loop does not change your drawlength it only changes you anchor point. If you [ measured 29 then you should shoot 29 with a loop or not. The loop changes the way you anchor, you anchor may be deeper on your cheek but you draw will still be 29.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry but you are wrong. Your anchor point remains neut. your draw will be longer due to the added length of the loop.[ie] If you use a kisser it will stay at the same point with or without a D loop.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:26 PM

If you use a kisser it will stay at the same point with or without a D loop.
You proved my point right there, if the kisser does not move, if you anchor in the same place then the DL has not changed, Only where you anchor your release has becasue of the loop.

Old 02-27-2003, 04:23 PM

Let me add to this, Your DL is measured from the string " Nock Point " to the throat of your grip at full draw. Adding a loop does not change this. Your arrow still nocks on the string in the same place.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2003, 05:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You proved my point right there, if the kisser does not move, if you anchor in the same place then the DL has not changed, Only where you anchor your release has becasue of the loop.
No I proved my point and so did Siskyou

the kisser to the corner of my mouth is my anchor. the loop has changed the distance in which you draw back which is around 3/4"

trust me on this I am an archery Tech
I set-up bows for a living.

Quick Reply: Draw length ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.