Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length ?

Old 02-28-2003, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Draw length ?

So how do you measure your DL?

I did a wing span on myself and got 28" . I ordered my Hoyt 28" . Now reguardless loop or not I am 28 and my bow is 28. If I add a loop I will anchor on my cheek 1/2 inch farther back but the string still touches my nose in the same place. the bow still draws 28" .

I will agree that you may think it is longer because you are farther back on your face but other than that nothing has changed. Both are still 28" . Black and White measurements will not change. your anchor point will.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The debate here seems to be what you call your anchor. My anchor point to me, is where I place my hand at my jaw bone. The kisser button, fletch, and string touching my nose are reference points to confirm that the anchor is right. When I sharted shooting a shorter bow, I was pulling those reference points back to their old familar spots, but my hand was farther back, I was no longer using good back tension, and my right shoulder developed a dandy case of rotator cuff tendonitis. I have since shortened the draw length so that my hand is in the proper position, and I am able to use back tension instead of my shoulder to pull into the wall. This causes me to lean my head forward slightly to feel the same reference points, but this is preferable to the inability to shoot due to constant soreness! I have noticed a definite difference in the whole anchor /reference point relationship since I have been trying to shoot a shorter (34" ) bow compared to my more familiar bows (40" +). I have often heard about draw length / anchor point is affected by a string loop, has anyone else noticed that it is affected by axle to axle length (string angle)? It seems to me that I can either adapt to the leaning forward head thing, or drop the short bow thing and go back to a longer axle bow. Drawing back farther to make my reference points feel right is no longer an option.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously useing a loop adds at least a 1/2 to 3/4 " to your draw . The Q2XL does not come with an 80% cam and its not an option . If it feels right keep it , if the string is in the midel of your nose and your bow arm is slightly bent you should be close to your corect draw length .
Old 03-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grndzer some people like to keep the nock as their anchor and others use a part of their hand to a certain part of the face.
If you anchor the nock to the corner of your mouth you do not need to change however if you anchor with your handyou will want to shorten your draw aprox 1"
whether you need to shorten the draw or not depends on your particular form or method of anchoring, although the DL has remained the same. the distance in which you must draw bask has changed.

actually there are several ways to measure draw length
one is by wingspan, another is sleeve length measurement , another is fist to wall
and another is a measuring bow. one method is no better than any other.