Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this right?

Old 02-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is this right?

I just got a new dozen beman ics hunter 340 shafts fletched last night. I am using 3, 4 inch duravanes fletched at 4 degrees. I am going to be shooting 67-68 pounds on a mathews lx, with 100 grain muzzy broadheads. My total arrow weight is 437 grains. using a 30 inch arrow. My question is if my arrow are a little to heavy for all out speed, since they weigh in at about 6.5 grains per pound of draw weight, or if this is a good compromise for speed and quiet shooting?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Is this right?

My hunting rig is much different than my 3d rig, Hunting I like to shoot heavy. If my bow will shoot 300 fps at 5 gr per then I will take that speed and turn it in to KE by building heavy arrows. A heavy arrow like say 450 gr will slow a 300 fps bow down to the 250 fps but the KE will be high, that is what I am looking for knock down power.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:17 AM

That' s a good arrow weight but not one I would choose for all out speed . Since the LX is not out yet it' s hard to say but from all the Mathews I' ve shot the last 4-5 years , you can easily shoot 5.5 -6 grains per pound smoothly and quietly. I shot a 393 grain arrow with my MQ-1(72#) at 295 fps , I shot a 495 grn arrow 257 fps(MQ-1 70#) with it. I noticed no difference in smoothness or quietness . I' ve shot an MQ-32 at 4.5 grn per pound ,which was incredibly smooth. I recently have shot the 393 grn arrows with my Ultra 2 at 296 fps and a 350 grn arrow 308 with no noticiable noise difference and only a slight diiference in vibration.
Do I think you should change arrows .....no !! But if your not happy with the speed when you get your LX ,I think you could easily shoot a 375-400 grain arrow and pick up speed without any noticable difference in shot noise or smoothness. Just my $ .02 .
Good Luck ..........I can' t wait for my LX to get here !!
Old 02-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think your arrow weight and size is fine. It is relatively close to what I normally shoot for a setup...draw length, draw weight, arrow size, etc.... I think it is an excellent combination if you are looking for a relatively quiet, accurate bow with a reasonably flat trajectory.