Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Well I'm finally to the point where I can start tuning my 101st. As per the advice I've recieved for a while, I started out by checking the specs on my bow. I bottomed the limb bolts out, and checked ATA, brace height, and tiller. Tiller seems to be good top and bottom. My brace height and ATA measurements are short and long an 1/8" each respectively. I'm at 7 1/8" on my brace height and 36.5" on my ATA. I can't remember what I'm supposed to twist/untwist to correct these. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8"

One would assume twisting the string would correct the problem but I am not a binary guy.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I wonder if I would have to twist both ends the same amount. Then will I have to play with the cables as well? Maybe I shouldn't mess with this just yet until I get some calrification. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 AM

If you don't have a draw board, have someone watch carefully as you draw the bow back to make sure your cams are rotating equally. If they are, then just twisting the bowstring will take care of the ATA and brace height issue. It will also mess with your peep and string loop - just make sure you fire a few arrow through it after twisting the string to let everything settle back in before moving the peep and loop.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question for you BT guys, do the specs VARY a little bit between draw-lengths the same way a Hoyt does????
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Optimum Cam timing should be on 2 dotsfor the 101. The specs should be constant regardless of draw mod you have installed as changing mods really does not affect at rest specs.

Dan
Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

If you don't have a draw board, have someone watch carefully as you draw the bow back to make sure your cams are rotating equally. If they are, then just twisting the bowstring will take care of the ATA and brace height issue. It will also mess with your peep and string loop - just make sure you fire a few arrow through it after twisting the string to let everything settle back in before moving the peep and loop.

Thanks. Should I twist both ends equally since the cams are essentiall slaved to each other?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

Did you measure your cables and string before you put on? This is quite important you do this under pressure. I have yet to see a set come within .25-.5".

If you top cam hits the stops first, twist the bottom cable and vise versa. First get them synced.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Did you measure your cables and string before you put on? This is quite important you do this under pressure. I have yet to see a set come within .25-.5".

If you top cam hits the stops first, twist the bottom cable and vise versa. First get them synced.
The strings are factory bowtech strings, so no I wasn't able to measure them beforehand. I'll have to work on getting them synched, so I need to make a drawboard. I tried watching myself in the mirror and it's too hard. There's no one else around to watch me draw either. Thanks for the clarification on what to twist/untwist.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

The strings are factory bowtech strings, so no I wasn't able to measure them beforehand. I'll have to work on getting them synched, so I need to make a drawboard. I tried watching myself in the mirror and it's too hard. There's no one else around to watch me draw either. Thanks for the clarification on what to twist/untwist.
Even factory strings need to be matched up with string specs under tension. To be straight with ya, I would get the exact specs from Meanv or others and start over. I use a strong peg on the wall and put the cables under all the tension I can to measure. Match those cable lengths. I have a tape measurer on the wall from my peg. That helps. And I put about 100lbs of pressure on it

And you don't have to have a draw board. I use a large hook screwed into a floor joist and pull down. draw boards are nice but take up room for me. You can pull down and see which cam is hitting first. Kinda like your measureing bow wieght.

Quick Reply: ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.