Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8"

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

And you don't have to have a draw board. I use a large hook screwed into a floor joist and pull down. draw boards are nice but take up room for me. You can pull down and see which cam is hitting first. Kinda like your measureing bow wieght.
Exactly. I use my heavy-duty digital Coffey scale hung from the rafters of my home shop, pulling down and watching how the stops contact the cables on both cams.

Everybody's got a bit of a different method of doing essentially the same thing; getting your strings/cables in spec before installing them on the bow will help lessen the amount twists you have to put in/take out when on the bow and keep pressing down to a minimum (saving you time and energy), but I erally don't worry about that as much as I do how the cams are synched (meaning I want the cable stops to fall JUST short of contacting the cables at full draw -- I'm talking a paper's width here) and then make sure a-to-a is correct next.
Thanks. Does your Coffey allow you to plot holding weight and let-off? I would think the draw board would be nice because it allows you to hold/stop the bow anywhere in the draw cycle to really take a look at what's going on. Additionally having a turnbuckle to make fine tune adjustments while the bow is drawn back would be nice as well. Or am I just being to nitpicky here? I would love to make a drawboard, but if I can get by with the same results using a hook set into a joist, I'm all for it.

Greg, do I measure from the inside of the loops then?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

Theoretically, it shows peak and holding weights... I say "theoretically" because -- as I said -- I've got it hanging from the rafters of my shop, and it's above head-level. I just currently use it to check peak weight, and all I've got to do is pull it down, let it back up and then check to see what weight is still showing on it... In other words, I can't see the readout WHILE I'm still holding it at full draw.

That's where a nice draw board would come in handy, coupled with a turnbuckle... It would definitely be neat to have and play with; I've just got too many other priorities right now.

As for where to measure from -- the inside or outside, I've never worried about it. Like I said, the only advantage I can see -- and someone can correct me if I'm not thinking correctly -- wouldbe so that you've got a closer starting point from which to start making your final adjustments. Other than that, I could care less what everything measures before I install them; I'm concerned with what it tells me once it's on the bow. Obviously, you don't want something you've got to severely twist or untwist to put the bow in spec, but keep in mind I'm always starting with BowTech-made strings, so I know theyr'e pretty well spot-on to start with.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Matt,

Theoretically, it shows peak and holding weights... I say "theoretically" because -- as I said -- I've got it hanging from the rafters of my shop, and it's above head-level. I just currently use it to check peak weight, and all I've got to do is pull it down, let it back up and then check to see what weight is still showing on it... In other words, I can't see the readout WHILE I'm still holding it at full draw.

That's where a nice draw board would come in handy, coupled with a turnbuckle... It would definitely be neat to have and play with; I've just got too many other priorities right now.

As for where to measure from -- the inside or outside, I've never worried about it. Like I said, the only advantage I can see -- and someone can correct me if I'm not thinking correctly -- wouldbe so that you've got a closer starting point from which to start making your final adjustments. Other than that, I could care less what everything measures before I install them; I'm concerned with what it tells me once it's on the bow. Obviously, you don't want something you've got to severely twist or untwist to put the bow in spec, but keep in mind I'm always starting with BowTech-made strings, so I know theyr'e pretty well spot-on to start with.
Thanks a lot, Greg. Good info. I think I may build myself a draw board, because...well...I'm a gadget guy