Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8"

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

If you don't have a draw board, have someone watch carefully as you draw the bow back to make sure your cams are rotating equally. If they are, then just twisting the bowstring will take care of the ATA and brace height issue. It will also mess with your peep and string loop - just make sure you fire a few arrow through it after twisting the string to let everything settle back in before moving the peep and loop.

Thanks. Should I twist both ends equally since the cams are essentiall slaved to each other?
Matt, once your cams are insync as well as both on 2 dots above the limb. You should twist/untwist thecablesthe same.

You only have to twist/untwist one end of each cable

Dan
Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

If you don't have a draw board, have someone watch carefully as you draw the bow back to make sure your cams are rotating equally. If they are, then just twisting the bowstring will take care of the ATA and brace height issue. It will also mess with your peep and string loop - just make sure you fire a few arrow through it after twisting the string to let everything settle back in before moving the peep and loop.

Thanks. Should I twist both ends equally since the cams are essentiall slaved to each other?
Matt, once your cams are insync as well as both on 2 dots above the limb. You should twist/untwist thecablesthe same.

You only have to twist/untwist one end of each cable

Dan
Thanks. Both dots are equal spaced (two showing above the limb on each end), but I read a thread over on AT by Dave Knowlin (sp?) that said you can't simply go by the dot indicators on the cams because we don't grip the bow dead center. So far, I've gathered this should be my process:

Take strings/cables off. Stretch them and measure them. Compare them to factory specs. If they are short/long, I should subtract/add twists to get them to spec. Put them back on the bow. Measure ATA, brace height. The ndo I move to timing, and once I get the cams in time, THEN check adjust the ATA and brace height if necessary, or should I do that before I mess with the timing?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I took the cables and string off and measured them one by one. These are my measurements:

String: 57 5/8"
Cable 1: 41 14/32"
Cable 2: 41 12/32"

Factory measurements are:

String: 57 1/4"
Cables: 41 7/32"

So what should my next step be? Twist the cables and string to get them in spec (off the bow I would assume)? Or is the difference I'm seeing neglible?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Ok, I took the cables and string off and measured them one by one. These are my measurements:

So what should my next step be? Twist the cables and string to get them in spec (off the bow I would assume)? Or is the difference I'm seeing neglible?
Well, if you notice everything you have is long so it makes sense you have longer ATA.

yep, twist up everything to specs. and install. Make your string the rule. And adjust your cables to sync up first, then twist or untwist to reach spec ATA. Thats what I would do.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Me too. These bows work best when the ATA and BH are to specs.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, if you notice everything you have is long so it makes sense you have longer ATA.

yep, twist up everything to specs. and install. Make your string the rule. And adjust your cables to sync up first, then twist or untwist to reach spec ATA. Thats what I would do.
Thanks. Just to make sure I"m doing this right, I'm measuring from the outside of the loops, correct? So what you're saying is twist the cables and string to specs...put them on the bow. Time the cams then through twisting/untwisting of the cables. THEN tweak the ATA and BH with the string? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to get this right.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Exactly!!

Dan
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

No , you measure from the inside of the loops that are around a 1/4 bolt through the loops while under tension for measuring them.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archer 2

No , you measure from the inside of the loops that are around a 1/4 bolt through the loops while under tension for measuring them.
I know to put them under tension, but if I'm supposed to be measuring from the inside of the loops, then my measurements are off. In reality, that would make them all a little shorter than specs most likely.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

And you don't have to have a draw board. I use a large hook screwed into a floor joist and pull down. draw boards are nice but take up room for me. You can pull down and see which cam is hitting first. Kinda like your measureing bow wieght.
Exactly. I use my heavy-duty digital Coffey scale hung from the rafters of my home shop, pulling down and watching how the stops contact the cables on both cams.

Everybody's got a bit of a different method of doing essentially the same thing; getting your strings/cables in spec before installing them on the bow will help lessen the amount twists you have to put in/take out when on the bow and keep pressing down to a minimum (saving you time and energy), but I erally don't worry about that as much as I do how the cams are synched (meaning I want the cable stops to fall JUST short of contacting the cables at full draw -- I'm talking a paper's width here) and then make sure a-to-a is correct next.

Quick Reply: ATA and Brace Height off an 1/8" *Update-String Measurement*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.