Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just shoot!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just shoot!

Well, I thought I would chime in and give an update. A few weeks ago I was super frustrated with my shooting and my target panic was really getting bad. Since then I took a week off of shooting and then I decided to slowly pick the bow up again. I am starting to have funagain and the groups are getting better but I haven't gone past 20 yards yet. I have been shooting just to have fun. I hate to say it but a few weeks ago I was making my favorite pastime a chore. I have changed my attitude and just shoot. I do not worry about accuracy so much nor do I try to change the way I shoot everytime I have a bad shot.

The reason I am telling all of you this is that I feel I caught up in reading how to be a better shooter from posts on the forum, books, etc. and basically it made me turn the sport I love into a job and I think I over analyzed shooting. I truly believe there is great stuff on this forum and in books but what I am trying to say is if you have TP or form issues try not to get too caught up in all the analyzing try to have fun and I think this helps a lot.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just shoot!

That's a great point. I'm going to college to be an engineer which means I love to analyze, tinker, and redo things over and over until they are perfect, which means I can sometimes get caught up in all the hype.

Thanks for the reminder to just enjoy myself and stop worrying about all the little stuff.

Have fun shooting!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I have never had TP, but have seen the agony it has caused others. I will tell you the same thing I told others. At your first pin, 10 20 what ever, take your stance, draw the bow back, exhale and bring the pin up from below the bullseye. As soon as the pin hits the bullseye release. Don't think about, don't try to float the pin, just touch the bullseye and release. Do this as smoothly as you can. There are many people that don't care for this method of shooting, but it gets the arrow off the string fast and that will be good for you. Give it a try.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gselkhunter

I have never had TP, but have seen the agony it has caused others. I will tell you the same thing I told others. At your first pin, 10 20 what ever, take your stance, draw the bow back, exhale and bring the pin up from below the bullseye. As soon as the pin hits the bullseye release. Don't think about, don't try to float the pin, just touch the bullseye and release. Do this as smoothly as you can. There are many people that don't care for this method of shooting, but it gets the arrow off the string fast and that will be good for you. Give it a try.
Gselkhunter

Gselkhunter,
That is exactly how I have shot the 3D tourny's for the last 10 years or so and it works great.....It is a good technique, and then you can build up to follow through and your done.....
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

That's funny I shoot like that naturally. I used to think this was wrong but it works for me and thus I will keep doing what works for me. Thanks for the advice.

Have fun
Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Would'nt you inhale and hold it instead of exhaling?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Thats the proper way of doing it. Breathing thru your abdomin, not your chest, inhale, and right at shot take in just a tad more air. Thats for fingers and recurves anyway.

Thats the reason you see alot of guys in pictures with thier gut pushed out.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 PM

I do my best shooting when I let the pin float and go for the surprise release; keeping the pin on the target as the arrow is flying through air. But I'm starting to wonder if the "just shoot!" technique isn't a better mousetrap for hunting. Biggest problem is that, for me, the latter technique causes arrows to group about 1" left of the first technique at 20 yards - probably because my bow arm tends to drift left on a command release shot.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Thats the proper way of doing it. Breathing thru your abdomin, not your chest, inhale, and right at shot take in just a tad more air. Thats for fingers and recurves anyway.

Thats the reason you see alot of guys in pictures with thier gut pushed out.
So this must be a typo?

[quoteI will tell you the same thing I told others. At your first pin, 10 20 what ever, take your stance, draw the bow back,exhale and bring the pin up from below the bullseye.][/quote]
Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

For me the just shoot method works and I think it is because I feel that archery is 90% "mind" and 10% "body" thus if you are having fun you are relaxed, and if you are relaxed the form, trigger pull, and all the critical items to make a good shot just fall into place. Maybe this is just me trying anything to get over tp but for me it works.