Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How are youth hunters?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Default RE: How are youth hunters?

This thread is precisely why when I see the issue of arrow weight, it's best for me to shut my eyes, plug my ears and sing la-la-la.[&:]
Nowhere did I sayBuckless should use an arrow that weighs less than 5grains per pound for elk hunting (his current arrow). But suggesting to someone already handicapped by a low energy setup that should also shoot arrows that weigh 10-11gpp's is truly nuts. There's no need for that. And even on an animal as big as an elk, trajectory is still important.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75
trajectory is still important.
Well, fair enough, but you have to tell us why you think its so important? I am not attacking you by any means, but don't understand when I hear the younger hunters talk about trajectory and these light arrows. I have bowhunted almost 22 years and I bet my bear whitetail twohad less performance than your setup. Difference was we shot 500-600 grain arrows back then. I can't say I have ever been handicapped with these setups.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, fair enough, but you have to tell us why you think its so important? I am not attacking you by any means, but don't understand when I hear the younger hunters talk about trajectory and these light arrows. I have bowhunted almost 22 years and I bet my bear whitetail twohad less performance than your setup. Difference was we shot 500-600 grain arrows back then. I can't say I have ever been handicapped with these setups.
Right on Bigcountry!! You and Arthur both are right on and a few people on this thread need to open there ears and expand there learning and hearing skills. Its that simple folks!!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Bigcountry, no one's attacking me personally. Just healthy debate. If I couldn't roll with the punches, I wouldn't have stepped into the ring.
Reason for me being so caught upin trajectory, accurate shot placement. It's as simple as that.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM

Actually it's not nuts doegirl, the heavier arrow will actually perform better than the lighter one on a low powered set up. This is exactly where you would want to be shooting a heavier arrow, not a lighter one. Yes you will lose trajectory, but it can be compensated for. That is where the SKILL part of archery comes in. If you play enough with low powered set ups using light and heavy arrows you will see the heavy arrow has more energy, momentum and penetration at hunting distances. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

You can argue it all you like and feel however you want to about it. However the people with more experience simply aren't going to buy it because they know better. Light arrows are not new, they have been around for quite a while. The reason they were not popular is because the bows of the time simply didn't have the power to make them useful. People tried them and found out the performance on game was not as good as a heavier arrow, so they switched back. This is also why you have seen a trend in the past 5 years or so for carbon arrows to offer heavier models. Now if you have a normal draw length with the capability to pull 60 or 70 lbs of draw weight the bows produce enough energy and velocity that you could use just about any arrow you want if you make a good shot. That being said I wouldn't suggest it for a youth hunter, or a smaller archer that can't get that much power out of a set up. Even if you are shooting a fancy bowtech.

Paul
Old 05-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Ok I do apologize to you Arthur, however, you touch a spot with me when you mentioned that you learned to hunt and not just shot. When I ask this dumb question I was not putting hunting skills into the equation. I assumed that most people here already have some kind of hunting skills or I would not have joined this site.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Actually it's not nuts doegirl, the heavier arrow will actually perform better than the lighter one on a low powered set up. This is exactly where you would want to be shooting a heavier arrow, not a lighter one. Yes you will lose trajectory, but it can be compensated for. That is where the SKILL part of archery comes in. If you play enough with low powered set ups using light and heavy arrows you will see the heavy arrow has more energy, momentum and penetration at hunting distances. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

You can argue it all you like and feel however you want to about it. However the people with more experience simply aren't going to buy it because they know better. Light arrows are not new, they have been around for quite a while. The reason they were not popular is because the bows of the time simply didn't have the power to make them useful. People tried them and found out the performance on game was not as good as a heavier arrow, so they switched back. This is also why you have seen a trend in the past 5 years or so for carbon arrows to offer heavier models. Now if you have a normal draw length with the capability to pull 60 or 70 lbs of draw weight the bows produce enough energy and velocity that you could use just about any arrow you want if you make a good shot. That being said I wouldn't suggest it for a youth hunter, or a smaller archer that can't get that much power out of a set up. Even if you are shooting a fancy bowtech.

Paul
There is simply no need for ultra heavy arrows, even with my setup or less powerful ones. All this ho-ha over arrow weight ignores more important aspects, IMO, like proper broadhead selection and the ability to tune your bow. In fact, I'll argue till the cows come home that poor choices in broadheads will lose you more game than light arrows ever will. I laugh when people suggest to me I should use a 400-500grain arrow.When the time comes I need to use 3 pins just to get out to 25 yds,that will be the moment I buy a recurve. Then I'll actually have a real reason to use such heavy projectiles.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 PM
bigcountry

There is simply no need for ultra heavy arrows, even with my setup or less powerful ones. All this ho-ha over arrow weight ignores more important aspects, IMO, like proper broadhead selection and the ability to tune your bow. In fact, I'll argue till the cows come home that poor choices in broadheads will lose you more game than light arrows ever will. I laugh when people suggest to me I should use a 400-500grain arrow.When the time comes I need to use 3 pins just to get out to 25 yds,that will be the moment I buy a recurve. Then I'll actually have a real reason to use such heavy projectiles.
Well, maybe I am underestimating you. I will admit this. Have you taken dozens of large deer/elk/boar with a bow? If yes, then I humbly appoligize for my suggestions as the proof is in the pudding.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Well, maybe I am underestimating you. I will admit this. Have you taken dozens of large deer/elk/boar with a bow? If yes, then I humbly appoligize for my suggestions as the proof is in the pudding.
My experience, or lack thereof, has no bearing in the arguement. But, unlike some internet cowboys, I've got no problems disclosing actual numbers-6 whitetails w/ a bow. That's it. Not the 70 something some claim. But again, still does not negate the fact that I don't quite need 10gpp inch arrows to chase to anything bigger than a whitetail.
I'll be sure to let all know how my 298 grain lightspeeds do on Russian boars this summer[8D]
Old 05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
bigcountry

But again, still does not negate the fact that I don't quite need 10gpp inch arrows to chase to anything bigger than a whitetail.
Totally agree on this statement. But not sure where the "I laugh when people suggest to me I should use a 400-500grain arrow" comes from

I'll be sure to let all know how my 298 grain lightspeeds do on Russian boars this summer[8D]
Won't be a problem as long as they are quartering away from you. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: How are youth hunters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.