Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanocal Broadheads

Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Default Mechanocal Broadheads

I am looking for some input on Mechanical Broadheads.
I have been a die hard Fixed Blade shooter for years (Muzzy,s)
I recently purchased a new bow and I justcant get the muzzy,s to group like I would like.
I tried a few of my buddies Mechanical,s and they shot great.
The jump to Mechanical,s isnt going to be an easy switch for me and I have resisted it for a long time after shooting fixed blades.
I have heard numerous stories about the rubber bands failing or the blades opening up too soon or not even opening at all.I am not real keen on the idea of a rubber band holding a broadhead closed anyway
I also hunt out of my Dbl Bull Matrix and have been told that a certain type of mechanical need to be used when shooting through the netting.
Of course all the manufactures will tell you they have the best ones out there , but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments to steer me in the right direction

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Mechanocal Broadheads

In regard to your new bow not wanting to shoot fixed blade heads, you almost certainly have some sort of tuning problem. I would try to work out that problem first - before I threw in the towel and went over to the mechanicals.

Having said that, there are some pretty good mechanicals out there. I had good experience with the Rage two blade last year. But they won't go through the mesh of a ground blind without problems. You need to get a fixed blade to shoot in your new bow. Or at least group well - even if the point of impact is off a little, you can sight in for broadheads right before the season. Should be real close if the bow is tuned.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Vortex's pro extreme 100 g's for at least 9 years. I have taken everything from deer, hogs, exotics and turkeys without problems. They use an o-ring instead of a rubber band which I like, I have also taken several animals out of my double bull shooting through the mesh....I would not go hunting with any head without trying them out of your blind first....I tried mine out to 50 yds prior to hunting with the blind and I will still shoot through it at home each year before hunting it....I have never heard anyone on here speak of these heads but here where I live all of my hunting buddies have been using them for years and years thats how I got started on them almost ten years ago. They can be bought fromcabella's....Good luck with your choice....
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used NAP Spitfires 125's, they do not have a O-ring...I have not tried to shoot thru mesh with them, so maybe someone else who has can let us know...but I have taken alot of hogs with the Spitfires with no problems
Old 05-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

No experience with shoot-through netting on blinds as I don't hunt from a blind, but I can tell you that not all of the BH's with the rubber band are "BAD." I've used both WASP Jak-Hammers and NAP Shockwaves with excellent results, and won't hesitate to use them again, and again, and again. I also have heard guys say over the last few years, that the quality of some of the Muzzy BH's has declined, which may also be something to take into consideration. Certainly a Fixed BH is going to amplify any form or tuning problems far above what FP's or a Mech. BH will. I find that shooting FBH's occasionally helps me keep my form more consistent, and has made me a better archer, no where near great, but better than average (or so I think!!!).
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM

I can tell you from personal experience that NAP Spitfires, Rage, and Rocket Wolverines won't go through mesh without issues. I had not, up till now,heard of any that would.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will most likely be using the Rage 2 blade for hunting this year! Those are very nice heads!