Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blackhawk Vapors

Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Blackhawk Vapors

Does anyone know the shaft diameter of the blackhawk vapor 4000' s? Anyone use them or know anything about them. Thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 06:38 AM

Default RE: Blackhawk Vapors

My bro-in-law uses them and they are great. They did a review in Peterson' s of them vs. many other carbons last year and they outperformed almost all others. Were tied or maybe just a little better than Gold Tips. All that and they are cheaper than a lot of others to boot. I don' t know the diameter, though.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might want to check their website. I believe it is www.blackhawkarchery.com ....or something similar to that. I do know that they are roughly equivalent to something in a size 18 or 19 aluminum.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I tried the Vapors about 9 months ago and was very disappointed in the durablity of the shaft. They didn' t really crack but the dented very easily when the arrows slapped together in the target, now I don' t mean a head on type hit just a slight hit. I went through 6 arrows in I think it was just 3 shooting sessions[]. I then went to the easton epic shaft and only lost 4 arrows out of a dozen one was my fault the arrow hit in the conceret lost one on a deer(not a bad thing got a deer!) the other 2 were lost at the same time I got my first robin hood.
I am not the only person that has had problems with this shaft at the shop I do bisenuess. I can think of atleast 5 people right off the top of my head that had the same problem at the local shop.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Am I missing something or what. How can carbon dent? This is a new one on me. I just thought carbon was supposed to be more durable and free of bending. I thought that if they were bent they would crack becuase of the layered carbon fiber.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Spike

Have made up lots of these and have had no complaints. Had sold mostly AFC' s before, but these seem to be as good, are made in the USA and are less expensive. I have found that carbon shafts can take a lot of abuse, but don' t always do well with a glancing hit, like off the side of a tree, rock, etc. Suppose the same thing would bhappen when they get too close together in the target butt. I believe they are equivalent to aluminum 20' s in diameter.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:28 AM

I know a few people that are shooting them. One of the opionions was that the Vapor Speed 23' s were the best all carbon arrow he' s shot to date. He fells they group and fly great, he' s a finger shooter.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Dent is the best way I can describe because that is what it looked like. I had never seen it before. Problaly what happened was it cracked on the inside but didn' t crack the outer layer(s) of the shaft and the layers that didn' t crack sunk in from the lose of support from the bottom layers cracking and the direction the inner layers were pushing. But I don' t know. People say carbon arrows don' t bent but the do in fact bend but I think it is more of a problem with the layers of carbon weekening from a hard hit from another shaft, that is just my theroy.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Carbon won' t dent. If it looks dented, it' s because the carbon matrix under the finish coating has been crushed and the coating is dented in over it. The ' dent' is now a weak spot in the shaft and even if it doesn' t break, it could affect the spine and how the arrow shoots. I wouldn' t shoot a carbon arrow with that kind of damage again.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:09 PM

Blackhawk makes several different carbon arrows--large diameter, carbon wrapped aluminum, as well as regular diameter all carbon. I have sold both the reg. diameter carbon which are close to a 19/64 aluminum (outside diameter) and the speed 23 which are 23/64. I have not had any complaints about durability and we have a pretty challenging 3D course.