Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight / kinetic energy question???

Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 AM

Default Arrow weight / kinetic energy question???

I've been trying to paper tune my new bow. Bow is a single cam set at 65 lb draw weight, 29" draw, IBO speed is up to 318 fps (I don't actually know what it is shooting). I've been testing many different arrows with length of 28" bare shaft and 29" with nock. I've found an arrow that paper tunes the best with my bow, but it weighs less than all of the other arrows I've been trying. With 100 grain tip, it weighs 360 total(most of the other arrows were closer to 405). I hear you get more speed with the lighter arrow, but you also sacrifice kinetic energy. So my question is, is the 360 grain arrow going to be sufficient enough for penetration, etc. for elk with ranges out to 60 yards?Or would I be better off to sacrificea little on the paper tuning, and go with a heavier arrow? I also hunt with mechanicals if that makes a difference.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow weight / kinetic energy question???

The lighter arrow looses KE faster than a heavier arrow. That is important at longer ranges. Just my opinion now, 60 yds is a bad shotat an elk with a bow and I know people do it. The KE is an issue at that range, but there is a bigger issue. That would be time of flight, an elk can move a long ways in a second.
Back to the issue, take those arrows out and shoot them at 80yds and see how well they fly. Mark you pin settings with the light arrows, then shoot the heavy ones and see which arrow really shoots better out of your bow.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM

I agree with you. Sixty yards is pushing it. I just threw out the number up to 60. I think in all my years hunting elk (friends included) I think the longest shot taken was probably 40-45 yards max. So I would say ethically up to 45 yards would be more accurate.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 PM

I like arrows in the low 400's for elk. The Easton Axis FMJ fills that bill nicely; and the small diameter combined with the slippery shaft surface offer thepenetration of heavyarrows. The 360 grain should be fine for deer and antelope, as long as they fly well at both short and longer ranges.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was finally able to get a shop to listen to me about believing something wasn't right on the bow. They found out that my idler was leaning using the bow plane laser. Now that 360 grain arrow is tearing on me, and the proper, heavier spined/grain arrows (for my setup)seem to be tuning better for me now. Now I'm back to several arrow options again as opposed to only one. And I think I'm going tostaysomewhere in the 400's. Thanks again for the feedback.