Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam timing

Old 02-23-2003, 01:59 PM

Default Cam timing

I just discovered that my cams are off a little. Don' t know how long they' ve been that way, but it is enough that I noticed it.
Anyway, I do not have access to a bow press. Is this something that I can correct myself? If so, where do I start?
I have a Golden Eagle Pro Formula if that helps.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 02-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cam timing

Woody, you most likely need to twist the cables or string. You will need a press to do so. You can get a portable press called the Bowmaster for $40 or so. I use one, and it works fine. They have a split limb adaptor for it, if needed.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Thank you.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:36 AM

My wifes Golden Eagle Evolution has adjusters on the cams to tune the cams in, bringing them in time. No press needed.

I bought my bow used. Luckily it came with all the paper work and draw length chips, allowing me to change draw length in 5 minutes, without a bow press.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:41 AM

Hyawatha,
You have me curious. My OM says nothing about cam timing, only shows how to adjust draw length, weight, etc. How do the adjustments work on your bow?

Old 02-24-2003, 07:33 PM

It has an adjuster that the cable goes around before attaching to the cam. This adjuster looks like a nut, with an allen bolt through the cam, and it is threaded on it. The nut isn' t center drilled, but off center. so turning the nut makes the cable longer or shorter. There are lines on the cams, for reference. You hang this measuring scale on the bow string, letting it hang down by the cam. Adjust the nut so the line on both cams are identical.

When I got my Golden Eagle(used) it was way off, and the instruction manual and cam chips/tools where still in the original sealed bag. Got it timed, and what a difference. Also adjusted the draw length in 5 minutes to better suit me, and tonight I made it shorter to see if my wife could pull it better. 5 minutes max!

Very sweet bow! Even my buddy that shoots a Mathews likes it.