Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bitz

Old 04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default bitz

ok, so I found out that using a straight clamp to fletch offset is hard.
Using a helical clamp would make this easier, right ?
I'm a lefty, so which clamp should I buy ? I looked at the ones on bowhunter superstore and they have two kinds. And do I need to change the dial as well ?

F.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bitz

Well, I'm not enough of an expert to know if you need left helical because you shoot left handed, but I really can't see it making any difference at all. My gut instinct is that I'd still go with right helical for two reasons. First, right wing feathers are much easier to get your hands on if you ever decide to try feathers. Second, and this may or may not make any difference, but right helical will turn the arrow opposite the threads on your FPs and BHs.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Most lefties use a right helical..I find it easy to off set with a straight clamp..What problems did you have?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

ok, first of all, what do you call right offset ? If I look from nock to tip, the vane goes from right to left.

The real problem I've been having is that every arrow one or two vanes aren't glued down all the way, meaning, the end of the vane usually sticks on one side, leaving a gap that I usually end up filling with glue.
It seems that even using less offset, that the straight clamp doesn't push the vane down against the shaft all along it's base.
So littlechief spoke of using a helical clamp, but what kind ? the right or the left one.....

F.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can only get so much offset, regardless of clamp used. Perhaps you are trying to offset too much? If the bow and the arrows are tuned well then you really don't need maximum offset with maximum helical as some would have you believe. Get enough offset so that your vanes stay on and call it good .

If you are using a dropaway rest then I would suggest using a right helical if you are going to go that route. That way the arrow spins in a fashion that will cause the points to tighten as opposed to loosen. If you are a lefty shooting off the shelf then you will probably have to go left helical.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank,
If you're looking down the arrow with the nock close to your eye and the nock end of the vane is right and the front end is left, that's left offset. It'll make the arrow spin counter-clockwise. If you're after helical, I believe you'd be better off with a right helical clamp... the same thing I use.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless someone is shooting lefty off the self why would anyone use left helical? It would get annoying screwing FP's and BH's back in all the time![&:]
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

Unless someone is shooting lefty off the self why would anyone use left helical? It would get annoying screwing FP's and BH's back in all the time![&:]
It's not going to completely unscrew them, in fact a little bow string wax on the threads and you don't have to worry about it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Typical Buck

I use a little drop of nailvarnish from my girlfriend and my points stay put.

I all so found out ( by myself, thank you ) that patience makes perfect glued blazers.
Before I glued my vanes one after another, so the glue dried while the vanes were loose.
I leave them in the clamp now for 10 min and they stay in place with the base of the vane glued all the way, no more ends or corners coming up....

but hey, thanks for the help

F.