Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mathews vs. hoyt ?????

Old 02-25-2003, 09:08 AM

Default RE: mathews vs. hoyt ?????

dick_cress,

I was just wondering what your draw length/weight are and how heavy is your arrow? I chrono' d my 2002 Hoyt MT Sport at 244 f.p.s. with a 30" draw, 70 draw weight, and a 400 grain arrow. Its IBO speed was only in the 270 f.p.s. range. I had a set of simms string leech' s, a pair of nocks, and a dusk vision peep sight.

It just seems that your FX is incredibly slow for a bow that has a IBO rating of 308 f.p.s. I would make sure that everything is working right and everything is tuned on that bow, because it just doesn' t sound right.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

My bow is set at 67# and my draw length is 28" . I shoot 2213 Easton XX-75' s with three right helical vanes. I use a True Fire X-Caliper release in Relax to Fire method and my rest is a Quicktune 4000 Fallaway. I anso have installed Simms Limbsavers and the Simms Modular Stabilizer with three total modules. And I have two brass knocks and a peair of spider string silencers.

I presently use a peep sight and a kisser knot. Next week I am installing a No Peep Peepsight Eliminator [by Timberline Archery] that will add from 5 to 9 fps and after set up I' ll do away with the kisser knot and that will add 1 fps for an increase of 10 fps total.

My arrows are 462.9 grains and the last chroni was averaged at 231 fps:
463(231X231/450240) = 54.83 ft-lb (Kinetic Energy)

With a 10 fps increase (estimated at present)

463(241X241/450240) = 59.7 ft-lb (Kinetic Energy)

I drive tacks and it shoots perfectly through the paper. I could no doubt do better with carbons but plan to stay with alminum until they stop making them. As for the differences between IBO and AMO ratings I believe they are measured with 30" draw and 70# and if my memory serves . . . they are machine fired. In terms of AMO rating I am presently a little below the 235 (4 fps) but with the changes I' ll make next week, I' ll be well ahead at around 241.

From what I understand my bow is performing superbly. I don' t worry much about IBO and AMO ratings as much as I do KE. and so far I keep the freezer full with pass throughs.

FYI: [the following was copied from an archery website]

A.M.O.(Archery Manufacturing Organization) and I.B.O. (International Bowhunters Association) both have a method for testing arrow speed from bows and although they are different both can be used to compare equipment for relative speed. Both of the speed testing standards use a constant draw length, arrow weight and bow weight to test bow speed.

These are the ways the two differ:

A.M.O.

Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 60 lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 540(9 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing.

I.B.O.

Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 70 lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 350(5 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing.

What is important about these two speed ratings is that they are only to be used to compare bows speed tested under the same standard. They should NOT be used to tell you what you will personally shoot for speed.

For example lets take an average archer……Bill Bowshooter……..Bill has a 29 inch draw length shoots his bow at 65 lbs and shoots a 455 grain aluminum arrow. In our example neither the A.M.O. or the I.B.O standards will accurately reflect the speed of Bill’s bow. Since Bill is shooting a shorter draw than both standards, shooting an arrow that weighs 7 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight, and is shooting 65 lb peak weight he will shoot at a speed very different to either standard. If we try to make some generalizations about the two different ratings we could say that the I.B.O. speed rating is much faster than most archers could achieve, and conversely the A.M.O. speed rating reflects a speed that is less than what most shooters could achieve with the same bow. If a bows I.B.O. speed rating is 320fps and its A.M.O. speed rating is 245fps that would mean the average archer would shoot that bow somewhere in the middle of that range.

What you have to know about these ratings:
1) They are shot by a machine
2) nothing is on the string
3) they are done by getting everything precise
4) no wind or human error in the shot
5) everything is to get the speed up to the results THEY want
6) no bow torque
7) no string slap
That is why.......any more questions I will be glad to help!!!!!!

It appears that my bow is performing EXACTLY the way it should.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:56 AM

I just went through the hard decision of choosing a bow (my first in over a decade). I shot every bow I could get my hands on. After several rounds of indecision (there are some really good bows out there!) my last groups of finalists were Mathews Legacy, Mathews FX, and Bowtech Patriot (single cam). I ended up buying the Legacy because it felt the best to me, but the Mathews FX was very close and is the best bow value on the market. The Patriot and top end Hoyts felt a little...umm... jumpier (that' s my own term because no one agrees what the other terms actually mean) after the shot than the Legacy did. The most important consideration is to find the bow that fits and shoots best for you.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:04 AM

dick_cress,
Your numbers sound good for your Mathews. My Conquest II set at 77lbs. and shooting a 560 grain Goldtip 7795 is registering 254 on the Chronograph. I have a kisser button, trueline peep, cat whiskers and two metal nocks. I use a Scott release.
bmott