Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Set this arrow up for me

Old 02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Set this arrow up for me

I am going to be using beman ics hunter 340 shafts this year. They will be cut to 30 inches, and I want to use 100 grain 3 blade muzzy heads. Set the fletching up for me. Vanes or feathers and why you would use them. Also the brand of vanes or feathers that you would use, and the length, even the degree of offset. I will be shooting a tm style rest too. I have always shot vanes and the only thing that worries me about feathers are that they seem noisy in a quiver or when rubbed against something, and their durability especially in bad weather. I am very open to suggestions on this as I have decided on all my other equipment for my new bow when it comes in,(except rest which I made a separate post on), and this is the final thing for me to chose. I want to keep my arrow weight as close to 400 grains as possible. I have a 30 inch draw, shoot a string loop with release, and will shoot between 65-68 pounds. I want to keep my foc around 9 to 10 percent as this seems to work pretty good for me. I know some people use acc uni bushings in these shafts and g nocks. What size uni bushing does it take, and the g nock too? I see they come in small and large groove. What the heck as long as were at it, what color vanes and nocks would you use? Something very visible but not glaring.

Thanks,

Bhunter32
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Set this arrow up for me

4" gateway feathers 2 degrees offset to the right if you are woried about the weather use hairspray or coat them in waterproofing powder .
Old 02-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Set this arrow up for me

First let me say I' d do a spin test on each one of your bemans. Use a spinning jig, dot mark on a wall to check it, and spin both ends checking for straightness. Discard the ones that aren' t near perfect. I always find 1 or 2 in a dozen that don' t, had they' ll never fly right.
Next I use vanes, nothing against feathers. Both have advantages, its really just a personal perference. I use Duravanes or Easton vanes. Both seem more flexible, and recover better from bending into the target. Start with a 2 degree offset, I prefer right. Check for clearance by using spray powder. If clear ok, try a little more. The more spin you get out of the rest the better.
I stick to easton internal uni nocks. I like these obviously for their adjustability to get fletching clearance. I always have spares, because they can pop out from shock of hitting something harder then foam, like another arrow. I don' t have a clue on uni bushings sizes for ya.
Colors I like white, and a flourescent green for hunting. White helps me to see the arrow against the brown of a deer for shot placement. 3D shooting I use as bright as can, so makes my shafts little easier to find in the forest floor, it happens! Orange, yellow, or white help searching. Nocks I like flourescent green, and yellow for same reason. White' s also good for hunting. Hope this helps!