Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Darton Storm- Len or others?

Old 02-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Darton Storm- Len or others?

Any idea why Darton lists the IBO for this bow at 60#s instead of the normal 70# (per their website)? Says 290 @ 60#s. What will it do at 70#s?

Also, how comparable is the PFC cam to the CPS? As smooth a draw cycle? Level nock travel?

Is the riser cast or machined?

Thank you
Old 02-20-2003, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Darton Storm- Len or others?

The risers are forged and then CNC machined. The cam is a smooth drawing cam but is not quite as smooth as the C/P/S. The nock travel is pretty good, but then again not anywhere near that of the C/P/S.

As far as the speeds, this year Darton rated all of their bows at 60#. I' m waiting for a call from them to clarify why and what they found was the difference between the poundages. I can tell you that, in the past, the Maverick did the same speed at 70# as what is presently shown at 60#. The criteria is using a 5 grain per pound arrow. At 70# that would be 350 grains. At 60# that would be 300 grains.

As soon as they get back to me with their reasoning, I' ll relay it.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Len...
Old 02-20-2003, 03:01 PM

Incase you are wondering, I know someone that has a Darton storm. It is a very nice bow for the money. It basically has the same cam as the Proline bows. So if you have thought about getting a proline Mountain bow, or the Stalker, this bow would be simular. I' m guessing the reduced price is due to not having the CPS technology. I have shot the bow, it is very nice. I would rate this bow right up there with the Parker hunter mag, except I think the parker is faster. I think my buddy paid less than $300 for his, I don' t see where you could wrong for that price.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 PM

The fact matter is that Darton has always tested their IBO speeds at 60#. It was just never published that way until this year. The owner believes in the ' old' style of testing, which is at AMO 60#.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotcha. I trust it will do stated fps @70# also, per your experience... Thanks Len.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:43 PM

From what I have seen darton tends to under rate their bows if anything. Can you back me up on that one Len? I know my yukon will do better than what it is rated, and does very well at my short draw length. I know if I did the math and shot the AMO minum weight arrow out of my set up I bet it would easily hit the 298 fps that it is rated at, and that' s with everything on my string.

My bow does have the CPS cams, where the Storm has the PFC cam, so I can' t say it will perform the same as mine. I know the one I shot was plenty fast though.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-22-2003, 09:23 PM

I have a Proline Sniper which is basically the same bow as the Storm. It' s a good solid bow with a machined riser with only about 5/8 inch of reflex. At 70 pounds and a 530 grain arrow it does about 240 fps at 30 inch draw AMO. It' s very forgiving and accurate and I like the draw curve and short valley. I' ve taken two WT bucks and a javelina with it and the bow has been trouble free and easy to tune. It' s a very good food collector but it has some hand shock and a little noise. For the price you can' t go wrong and Darton has great service.