Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

From Fingers to a Release!

Old 02-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default From Fingers to a Release!

OK, here' s the deal. I' ve been shooting with fingers for a good 15yrs now. I' ve tried several releases in that time frame, but never liked any of them until last year. My brother made the switch with a Winn' s C-10, glove style. I found this one fairly decent. So anyways I want to make a good honest effort on making the switch. Mainly because I feel I' ve reached the max I can with finger performance at 3D shoots. I don' t want to get into the Pro' s, and Con' s of each, because I' ve been weighing those for yrs. But I do have a few questions some of you Release guys maybe able to help me with. Don' t laugh if they seem obvious to you, because they don' t to me!
1) I noticed in several magazine pictures, most all the release shooters anchor below the jaw bone. I anchor w/fingers right behind the mouth, w/ my thumb running across the bottom jaw bone. I was curious is anchoring fully under your jaw bone because of the release itself for clearance, or is it just a better spot for anchoring, or a personal perference?
2)Back Tension form. I' ve been reading alot about this, and Target Panic. Shooting Fingers I' ve probably had some form of it for yrs! My question here is using your back muscles I' ve read you try to sorta squeeze both your shoulder blades together which moves your arm, and touches off the release. But wouldn' t moving both back muscles cause one to move both arms, and possibly jerk your bow with your grip hand? Or do you actually just move your release side muscle. Also do you do it slowly, or just do it?
3) Winn makes a model I believe the C-12 for my situation. You hold the trigger back when drawing, and release the trigger to fire. Would this be a better route in getting started. And would that style of release have much target panic?
4) I hate to have to go out, and buy several releases trying to find one I like. Especially after being use to $4 tabs. All the different style of heads, and what works with this type of string loop, rope, plastic,metal,etc. I don' t have a clue on what type of head works with what. Or what style head releases the best. I don' t like the looks of the string angle inside the nock when connecting directly to the serving. That has to have some sort of effect, or doesn' t it? And should I even worry about it at all in making the switch?
I' d appreciate the info here. It' d really help!!
Old 02-21-2003, 09:04 AM

Default RE: From Fingers to a Release!

Hey Buck, I can' t help you with your answers on these questions but I had many of the same questions and am really hoping that some of these experts on this site can help us both. Thanks for asking
Old 02-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I can only figure one of two things here. Either I' m a blooming idiot, and answer' s to my questions are obvious. Or no one using this forum has a clue to my questions. Which is it guys? Come on give me a break!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

I switched to a True Fire X-Caliper from Bare Bow, tab, apache style after 35 years. The transition has been simple and quite effective.

What works best for my anchor (presently use a peep) I bring the string to the center of my nose and I have a kisser knot tied on my string that comes to the right corner of my mouth. This effectively locks the web (thunb of my right hand around the rear of my lower jaw bone.

I jusr recently switched to the relax to fire method of firing with my True Fire and I am considering switching to a No Peep before hunting season.

I haven' t had any problem in the transition and my re-nocking and re-fletching bill is proof that I am driving tacks . . . consistently and that aint bad for an old dog (timer) learning new tricks.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buck.
If your pro shop has a good range of different styles of releases just ask if you can try a few out to see what one suits you better.

Thats what I done and the shop had no problems with me trying them in fact they where very helpful in suggesting some that suited my style.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, Ausie none of the proshops nearby have a wide selection, just small time guys with shops out of their basements. Dick I didn' t realize Tru-fire also had a release tension style trigger. I looked at them in last yrs. archery catalogs. They offer that head for their glove also! Even better you can use it either way. In fact I just spoke to a friend of mine, and he shoots the bear paw glove, so I can least check that out see how it feels.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

BuckAlley, I' ve got the Bear Paw glove with that dual release mechanism head. I shoot much better with it in the relaxation mode than in the triggering mode and it' s much quieter shooting than the other way. I guess it' s just more natural for an old fingers shooter. My only problem with it is I can' t get used to having the thing sitting in my palm all the time.

To use the relaxation mode, you stick the string or loop between the jaws, squeeze the trigger in, then pull the trigger to close the jaws. Draw, anchor and aim, then just quit pulling the trigger when you' re ready to shoot. You still pull thru the shot with back tension, but I prefer to explain it as pushing your elbow back instead of squeezing your shoulder blades together.

As for an anchor, when I shoot release (which hasn' t been too often here lately), I turn my string hand palm out and anchor the big knuckle at the base of my index finger right behind the curve of my jaw, touching my ear lobe.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:02 PM

I did what you said you did not want to do - bought a variety of releases and tried them, including the C12 you mention. Am selling the ones I didn' t like on Ebay. Much cheaper to go to a shop and ask to try a variety, that sounds like a good idea. No use me telling you which one I chose, it is a very personal thing - but I still use fingers for hunting.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

I forgot to add in my earlier posting: Since I migrated from barebow to sights and release I was a finger shooter and shot apache style (three fingers under the arrow) I always anchored with my thumb curled around my lower jaw and my index finger in the corner of my mouth. With my True Fire release, I still hook my thumb around my lower jaw. Where my index touched the corner of my loutn I now have a kisser knot tied to my string that touches the corner of my mouth.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you happened to reply again today, as I just today picked up the Tru-Fire X-Caliper glove rel.!! After you previously wrote about the Rel. I looked into it more. The dual action trigger seemed like a sensible option, and a friend of mine just happens to use the same x-caliper. He let me play around with it, and I really liked it. Its very comfortable with the soft lining, and tightens up as much as you want it to. I' m going to fling some arrows with it tomorrow! Now I was also wondering do you use a string loop, or shoot off the serving?

Quick Reply: From Fingers to a Release!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.