Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changing strings yourself?...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Changing strings yourself?...

I'd like to learn how to change my string/cable myself safely. I'd also like to learn how to tune my bow as well. Is there a good book on how to do this or maybe an instructional DVD?

thanks!,
Eric
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Changing strings yourself?...

It is very easy to do and the best way to learn is to do it yourself.Get either a portable press or a bench press. I use this press along with a bow vice.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/bowmaster-portable-press-p-1068.html

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/american-archery-products-universal-bowvise-p-33.html

Sit down and carefully look how each cable and string is run. Take out the limb bolts 3-4 turns to relieve pressure onthe limbs. Follow the instructions with the press. Watch how you remove each cable and string. Instead of taking all of them off replace 1 at a time so that you do not get mixed up on anything. Measure the cable/string you removed and then measure the new one. If you have the OEM length for the cable or string add or remove turns to both ends of the cables/string to get it to proper length. Install the new cable/string the same way as you removed the old one.

Make sure that all cables/strings are on the cam properly and slowly let out the press. Turn the limb bolts in the whole way and measure your ATA to ensure that it is within specs.If the ATA is long you will have to press the bow again and add turns to the string. Once ATA is correct you need to look at cam timing or positioning depending on the bow you have. If the cam timing is off you will need to adjust the cables or string as necessary. After that check the ATA again to ensure that it iscorrect. If not, adjust the string again. Go through checking the ATA and cam timings again. This is the abridged version and once you start doing it yourself you will understand everything I am saying.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM

I did mine for the first time a couple of months ago. It wasn't real difficult and I learned a few things. Having the Hoyt technical manual was very helpful to me - I don't believe the strings I took off the bow were correctly tweaked when they were installed a couple of years ago by the local pro shop after reading all the Hoyt specs for this bow.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Something that helped me the first time was to take digital photos before I started. I needed to go back and look at them to make sure I had it right!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

It is very easy to do and the best way to learn is to do it yourself.Get either a portable press or a bench press. I use this press along with a bow vice.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/bowmaster-portable-press-p-1068.html

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/american-archery-products-universal-bowvise-p-33.html

Sit down and carefully look how each cable and string is run. Take out the limb bolts 3-4 turns to relieve pressure onthe limbs. Follow the instructions with the press. Watch how you remove each cable and string. Instead of taking all of them off replace 1 at a time so that you do not get mixed up on anything. Measure the cable/string you removed and then measure the new one. If you have the OEM length for the cable or string add or remove turns to both ends of the cables/string to get it to proper length. Install the new cable/string the same way as you removed the old one.

Make sure that all cables/strings are on the cam properly and slowly let out the press. Turn the limb bolts in the whole way and measure your ATA to ensure that it is within specs.If the ATA is long you will have to press the bow again and add turns to the string. Once ATA is correct you need to look at cam timing or positioning depending on the bow you have. If the cam timing is off you will need to adjust the cables or string as necessary. After that check the ATA again to ensure that it iscorrect. If not, adjust the string again. Go through checking the ATA and cam timings again. This is the abridged version and once you start doing it yourself you will understand everything I am saying.
Good advice. That's just how I changed mine last night which was the first one I'd done myself. Ifthe bow hasan idler wheel, you'll have totwist theharness yokes to take out any lean.

Another thing that helps if it's your first time is to take pictures before you take the string off.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
bigcountry

A bow scale and press is needed. Also , I reccomend everyone take a picture of thier cams when thier bow is new to check for timing and changes.

Before starting, take measurements of everything. brace height, Axle to Axle, bow wieght at peak, and full draw and note the positon of the cams with the limbs.

Then only change one cable or string at a time. Some bows have two cables. When you take strings/cables off, measure the lengths and measrue them with alot of pressure, and try to get your new cable/string, the same length by twisting. Do one thing at a time. Afterwards, match your bow weight, and twist the cables to increase and untwist string to decrease. Adjust the cables/string twist for proper timing. Shoot around 50-100 shots to settle in, and recheck everything.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll definitely take some pictures first. Just one question though. How much would a 1/2" shorter string effect the draw length?

thanks!,
Eric