Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lets talk back tension....

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM

Default RE: Lets talk back tension....

Shooting with back tension and simply using a back tension release are two different things. I sometimes wonder how you guys that shoot back tension all the time don't realize that you can purposefully set off a back tension release. It's really not that hard. And once you figure it out you can have target panic again.

Back tension is in no way a CURE for target panic. It's a band aid, not a cure. Also depends on the type of target panic you have.

I have actually seen people get target panic from using a back tension release. Some people are just completely freaked out by them. Especially if they use them wrong and get busted in the mouth a few times. That's not exactly a confidence builder.

Using a release that takes the trigger out of the equation doesn't cure anything, it just takes the trigger out of the equation. If you get a surprise release you don't have time to do anything that effects the shot, like grab the bow or drop your arm. The arrow is gone already. In most cases if you go back to using a trigger you will develop the same habits in short order. So you didn't really cure it, you just found a way around it.

Sort of like when I asked my doctor for a sedative for anxiety disorder. He told me no because that would be treating the symptoms not the disease.

And you can shoot quite accurately with a triggered release. As long as you have good form and follow through.

You are right though, I don't shoot a back tension release on a regular basis. And the reason is I really don't like them. I actually prefer releasing the arrow on my own as opposed to being surprised by the shot. I do have a couple though, and my girlfriend shoots with one. And we were taught how to use it by a world class and Olympic archer. So I didn't just pick it up and play with it.

You can feel however you want to about it and I will feel however I want to about it. All I know is that for me I don't shoot any better with one than I do without one. I also have a pinky release and I hate that thing.

Paul
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Well, I just got back from the range. I tried my new "BT" release and it was.....different. I never had one misfire or busted lip. I know it was my first time using it but I don't think I like it. Doesn't seem right for me. I would draw back, anchor, place my middle and ring finger on the release, and try to set the release off with BT. Well, I couldn't. I would get the shakes and keep trying but nothing would happen. I finally just "cheated" and turned my hand. Its definitely a workout.

I went back to my trigger. I think I can beat my target panic problems with the release that I started using. It just may take some time. I guess I shouldn't have been trying to shoot at targets anyway today. I need to start blank-bailing. Its hard though living in an apartment and not getting to shoot everyday like I used to. I'll be glad when we finally find a house.[&o]
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Not everyone can shoot a back tension release well. Different shooting styles, different personalities it really does make a difference. Some people can't handle the loss of control when using back tension. You did exactly what I thought you would do. The release didn't go off like you thought it should so you either jerked on it at full draw when your pin hit the target or you forced it go off because you knew how it worked.

My guess is your release isn't adjusted correctly though. Back tension releases take some time to get used to, especially if you are used a trigger. Hours of blind and bank shooting at the beginning help a lot. You certainly can't do it in one session.

Good luck,

Paul
Old 04-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Yeah, your'e right Paul. I know this whole BT thing takes a while. I'm trying to prepare for spring gobbler and cure my target panic at the same time. Guess it doesn't work that way.