Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Silencers

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String Silencers

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

You will have more of a problem keeping string silencers on your string with a string suppressor. I have used Sims, BowJax String jax, Catwhiskers, and several others. My favorite are the Ultra II String Jax. Very little speed lose, great job of noise reduction, and they have been very durable as well. They are available in Black, Brown, Olive, & Clear.

Dan
I have a MeanV CSS on my Guardian and took the string silencers off and put the clear Jax on the cables. Doing great so far.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried the Jax, string leeches, and catwhiskers. Not all catwhiskers are durable, but most are, and no other string product I've tried kills the noise and string vibration like whiskers. JME The newer leeches are more durable than older ones, but switching to whiskers has quieted down any bow that I've made the switch. I must add that I don't have a string suppressor on any of my bows. I had Jax on factory Pearson bows, and bought some for my son's Buckmaster G2 XL. I am not impressed at all with the job they do. Again, JME.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I bough some whiskers yesterday. I'm working on a problem with a ripcord rest I bought and once I get that figured out, I'm going to put them on. I like to try and hear the difference each component makes, if any. I don't like to add a bunch of stuff at one time.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

My 2 cents... I've tried lots of stuff, whiskers, leeches, puffs, bow jax, etc. Once i tried tru ball spyder speedsilencers, I wouldn't use anything else. I just bought a new Fred Bear Instinct that came with leeches, I took them off and threw them away, my experience is they don't last but 50 shots anyway. The old whiskers are ok, puffs, ok, I really like the bow jax cable guard 'Big JAX'.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

sixgunlvr, nothing against your setup by any means, but I tried those things on my Firestorm and had absolutely no luck with them. Shows that every bow is different i guess.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 AM

I don't like any of the rubber string silencers. Even if you can get them to stay in they all make this "whipping" sound when you shoot. Even cat whiskers. String leaches do work pretty well though when put in correctly.

I either use the yarn puff balls or Beaver Balls. They are DEADLY quiet and last for years and years.

Paul
Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 PM

i like whiskers they are the best.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

No offense taken, whatever works best for you is what I recommend.
ORIGINAL: kdsberman

sixgunlvr, nothing against your setup by any means, but I tried those things on my Firestorm and had absolutely no luck with them. Shows that every bow is different i guess.