Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release for solving target panic?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Release for solving target panic?

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I like to change things up periodically with my releases. Have also been tuning the releases for a fairly light "surprise' let-go. But, sonner or later, I will get in a rut and start "punching" a particular release. Time to rest that one and pick up another one.
Light trigger pull will CAUSE that punching,not help cure it.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Ok, I'm a little confused now. So the below release is a "true BT" release and it has a thumb post. Thumb trigger releases also exist but they are not considered "true BT", correct? Then a rotary type release is made as well according to this site http://www.koniaris.com/archery/mrd/ which is not considered BT. The black release below is a thumb trigger release that a friend let me borrow. I tried it for the first time today.[:-] The bowstring only releases once the thumb trigger is pressed and then let up until a click is heard. Man, I anticipated the shot badly. As soon as I pushed the trigger I was ready to let my bow down. I knew how the release operated but its just a bad habit I have. I really need to get these issues solved.

http://www.truball.com/TRUTension.html

Thumb trigger release
That is a cascade release and apparently you had it det to fire when you relax the trigger,I don't think that will help you.

That web site is technically right but they are still wrong.Yes,A pure bt does rotate to fire and that is why I suggest a 3 finger over the 4 finger as I stated earlier,you can cheat with the fingers.BUT,you still use your back muscles to fire it when done properly.

There are some tension releases that imo,are superior to a rotary style but they are expensive and require alot of discipline in the whole shot process.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

The TruBall Tru Tension release pictured is a pure BT release, meaning that there is no physical trigger on the release (regardless of weather or not it has a thumb post). The release is activated by the rotation of the handle, which nominally will be due to the tighening of the muscles in your back, causing your hand to move without intentionally trying to move it. The advantage to learning to shoot this type of release is that when it is being shot correctly, the pulling action tends to be a long gradual buildup of pressure rather than a jerking action. This build up of pressure in the back is not easily associated with the bow going off so it tends to keep the association between the pin being on the target and pulling the trigger (target panic) to a minimum. What you end up with is a suprise release every time.

The lower release is a thumb trigger (Spot Hogg Cascade 3 finger), however it operates as a "relax to fire" type. As you noticed, you push the button to "set" the release, then relax your thumb and the release fires. IMHO this is not the best type of triggered release as the relaxing part can cause you to go softly into your shot instead of pulling hard into the wall for a strong shot.

Roskoe.....as a general rule, you want your releases set up with a heavy trigger pull. This causes you to have to pull harder and thus get a stronger release.
When shooting my BT releases or my thumb triggers for that matter, when I start getting ancy with the release, I typically go with a release that is set up slower or has a heavier trigger. This requires that I pull harder and go into the shot stronger, thus keeping TP to a minimum.

I should have read ahead before responding,would have saved me some typing.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

It kinda works the other way for me . . . although having a heavier release that lets go real suddenly is better than a light pull that is a little mushy. The real issue is getting surprised by the release of the arrow as opposed to trying to make it happen at a given moment. I have also gotten to where I can shoot a trigger type release with back tension - I just kinda lock my hand when everything is preset and let the back muscles do the rest. The Short 'N Sweet release, at least for me, works particularly well for this technique.
The real issue is being able to settle into the release and fire it with an increase in tension,not touching the trigger off.

Light triggers will cause a bad shot sequence ,but you wanta release with little to no trigger travel.The Short & Sweet is a great release and I also use one for hunting.