Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release for solving target panic?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Release for solving target panic?

Expensive and for babies.[8D]

Carter makes some of the finest releases on the market,( I Love mine)I just am not a fan of the safety.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know switching to a thumb-trigger style release has really helped me with my trigger punching that I experienced for years with my caliper release. I tried to teach myself BT with the caliper, but I was inconsistant. My thumb trigger has been a welcomed change, and my shot consistancy is already improving. I would certainly recommend a BT or Thumb trigger style release based on my limited experience.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I'm assuming you all hunt with BT too, correct?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I'm assuming you all hunt with BT too, correct?
I would think a BT would get a little sketchy when hunting, but I'm sure plenty of guys can do it. I'm planning to take my ST-3 hunting this year though. Biggest thing it making sure you get some sort of cord/strap for hunting...I would hate to drop my release 20 feet in the air.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Expensive and for babies.[8D]

Carter makes some of the finest releases on the market,( I Love mine)I just am not a fan of the safety.
And/or for those of us that do not want to have our wives put an Arkansas hobble on us for more holes in the wall of the shop!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I highly DO NOT recomend using a pure BT release for hunting, there are a few that use them and seem to do well, but for me I find that a pure BT release in a hunting situation is far less than optimal......and I shoot a pure BT release for everything else.

What I would recomend is that you find a pure BT release that you like and then find a thumb trigger style that has a similar feel to the BT that you are using.
This allows you to shoot the pure BT release all year during practice, league, 3D, etc.....and work on getting rid of your target panic. Every once in awhile, slip in the thumb trigger release for a couple of shots just so you are comfortable with it.
When you head to the woods, bring the thumb trigger and leave the BT at home.

While I do try to use proper form and technique for every shot, sometimes in a hunting situation that just isn't going to happen, or you need to get a shot off quickly. The thumb trigger allows you to command shoot the release if push comes to shove.

The wrist strap is a good idea, as is putting a backup release in your pack. I have dropped my hand held from the tree a couple of times but have always had a backup up there with me.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 AM

I like to change things up periodically with my releases. Have also been tuning the releases for a fairly light "surprise' let-go. But, sonner or later, I will get in a rut and start "punching" a particular release. Time to rest that one and pick up another one.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Ok, I'm a little confused now. So the below release is a "true BT" release and it has a thumb post. Thumb trigger releases also exist but they are not considered "true BT", correct? Then a rotary type release is made as well according to this site http://www.koniaris.com/archery/mrd/ which is not considered BT. The black release below is a thumb trigger release that a friend let me borrow. I tried it for the first time today.[:-] The bowstring only releases once the thumb trigger is pressed and then let up until a click is heard. Man, I anticipated the shot badly. As soon as I pushed the trigger I was ready to let my bow down. I knew how the release operated but its just a bad habit I have. I really need to get these issues solved.

http://www.truball.com/TRUTension.html

Thumb trigger release

Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

The TruBall Tru Tension release pictured is a pure BT release, meaning that there is no physical trigger on the release (regardless of weather or not it has a thumb post). The release is activated by the rotation of the handle, which nominally will be due to the tighening of the muscles in your back, causing your hand to move without intentionally trying to move it. The advantage to learning to shoot this type of release is that when it is being shot correctly, the pulling action tends to be a long gradual buildup of pressure rather than a jerking action. This build up of pressure in the back is not easily associated with the bow going off so it tends to keep the association between the pin being on the target and pulling the trigger (target panic) to a minimum. What you end up with is a suprise release every time.

The lower release is a thumb trigger (Spot Hogg Cascade 3 finger), however it operates as a "relax to fire" type. As you noticed, you push the button to "set" the release, then relax your thumb and the release fires. IMHO this is not the best type of triggered release as the relaxing part can cause you to go softly into your shot instead of pulling hard into the wall for a strong shot.

Roskoe.....as a general rule, you want your releases set up with a heavy trigger pull. This causes you to have to pull harder and thus get a stronger release.
When shooting my BT releases or my thumb triggers for that matter, when I start getting ancy with the release, I typically go with a release that is set up slower or has a heavier trigger. This requires that I pull harder and go into the shot stronger, thus keeping TP to a minimum.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM

It kinda works the other way for me . . . although having a heavier release that lets go real suddenly is better than a light pull that is a little mushy. The real issue is getting surprised by the release of the arrow as opposed to trying to make it happen at a given moment. I have also gotten to where I can shoot a trigger type release with back tension - I just kinda lock my hand when everything is preset and let the back muscles do the rest. The Short 'N Sweet release, at least for me, works particularly well for this technique.

Quick Reply: Release for solving target panic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.