Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

low poundage causing trouble

Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default low poundage causing trouble

I made a stop at my local shop to pick up some deer targets and just because I had my bow with me, I decided to pull it on the scales. I couldn't believe my eyes, my bow barely had 50# on it. I remember asking for 55 # when I bought it.
Could this be the reason why I just couldn't seem to tune my easton axis arrows, 400 spine and 125gr tip ???
I added a good 6# and went straight for the range to try my bow and my new fmj's.
First rounds I had to adjust a little high and then decided to shoot a vegas round, 30 arrows. I ended up shooting 285 the first game, second one289 !!!
My best score was a 274 before......
The bow feels easier to hold and aim with, and my arrows are wizzing to the target.
before it felt more like I was throwing arrowsat the targets.....
With the extra 6# I think within a month or two I could pull the 60# without serious problems, so......
goes to show you need to check everything when tuning......

Frank
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Default RE: low poundage causing trouble

I don't care how reputable a shop is, always....always double check their work. Even the best shops make mistakes.

Best of luck to you Frank. When are you coming to the States?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

strings stretch I believe even if they say zero stretch, therefore you will lose poundage....I have a scale at home, i check with often.....I also find my shop is usually off, though they use a big deer style scale....probably goes up to 100-300lbs, and eyeball peak weight, whereas my bowscale will let you konw peak weight more accurately, I've asked for 65....and got 62.....58...etc.....my dad asked for 60 i think and got 52......I thinke veryone should have a scale....also just to keep your bow tuned to a set draw weight, overtime if you lose poundage your arrows trajectory will change. I not certain but I could see a string stretching more early on in its life vs later on......so may be more important at first to check on it, and then only routinely later on.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

I don't care how reputable a shop is, always....always double check their work. Even the best shops make mistakes.

word travels fast I see. I have to get through my Suriname jungle adventure first and then we'll see about visiting the states.....I sure would like to see you guys in person and shoot some......

Frank
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think low poundage causes tuning trouble. I am shooting .400 spine arrows with a 100grain tip at 53#'s and they are shooting just fine, well, as fine as I can shoot them . You can tune your bow to shoot the arrows just fine at 50#'s or 58#'s. The best way is to tune for the right DW closest to centershot but you can still tune away from that. If anything, I would think changing the tip weight to 100 grains would have accomplished the same thing as changing the DW as far as tuning goes.

Perhaps just feeling better about your setup is helping you shoot better. I know there are days when I feel like everything is clicking, there is confidence in my setup, confidence in the tuning, etc.and I can shoot great and then there are days when I am wondering what happened.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

I shoot my spot bow up at 58 pounds because the round wheels don't have a hard wall to pull up against and the higher poundage makes for a crisper release. It's quite a bit more accurate for me to shoot at higher poundage because it helps my form. As far as the bow goes... I'd have to have a shooting machine to find out. Your TomKat has fixed limb pockets so I wonder if it's a matter of seating the limbs deeper in the pockets, getting the deflection point on your arrows or if it's better form that's causing your better shooting? It's likely a combination of the above.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I think you're right Rob, a combination of points, being more force behind the arrow and a steadier hold and aim, my pins don't dance that much around the target...
I had an easter shoot out today: 3 rounds, first round was shooting 60 or above with as less arrows as possible, I needed 11 (5 x 10's and 2 x 9's )
second round was shooting 10 arrows at small chocolate easter eggs and plastic bunnies, I nailed 10 of thesmallest ones.
third round was popping balloons on a swing, 15 arrows killed 14 balloons.
So I guess, my form has improved, not my shooting mind.
I never thought of fiddling with poundage or let-off until today, I even think going a little less on let-off would improve my shooting even more.
But I'm off to the Amazon Jungles to do some hiking, so my bow will have 14 days off.

F.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you are getting it worked out Frank!

Dan
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

word travels fast I see. I have to get through my Suriname jungle adventure first and then we'll see about visiting the states.....I sure would like to see you guys in person and shoot some......

Frank
Yes, word travels extremely fast around these parts. We would be honored to have you over here. A few rounds of 3-D would be in order.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

All these issues with your bow is why you need to come here when you want to buy a new one. I'll make sure you get what you want, get it tuned right,and my dealer is top notch.

Quick Reply: low poundage causing trouble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.