Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

dominant eye ?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Default dominant eye ?

I am fairly new to the sport of archery,still working on my form. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have been shooting right handed with my left eye closed and have getting 6 inch groups of 5 ( hopefully more practice will shriek it to 3 ). I have been told to switch to left handed shooting so I can have both eyes open. I tried that and when focus on the pins the target is blurry and visa versa. Is this right ? Does shooting with one eye closed really make a difference in the tree stand? Any help to improve my form would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: dominant eye ?

i have an uncle who has shot along time with boyh eyes open. me i only use one, my right and i am left eye dominant also. my advice is to keep shooting the way you feel comfortable. i have always been a good shot with one eye closed and one open. to bring that group together you just have to shoot a lot of arrows. make sure you draw back to the same spot on your face everytime. its thoe small things that improve accuracy.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with most coaches on this one,you shoot with the dominant eye.I believe it will become more comfortable to shoot this way after getting over the initial change.(there are exceptions)

My daughter is right handed and left eye dominant and she made the switch with a little encouragement from me,she was very comfortable after just a short time.She now shoots guns and bows left handed and has even made the switch to a left handed hitter for softball.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you will see I have both bows RH and LH, I had to finally change from RH to LH, due to eye dominance problems, it was not really that hard.
I still shoot RH because my draw back arm is stronger... I will still take a shot RH under 30 yrds...better without sights...but Iwas told to switch and I did, and I could not be happier.
Guns. LH
Write. LH or RH
Kick. Left
Throw. RH
So I guess I am really screwed up!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replys. So if I switch to LH that would be a good excuse to tell my wife I need a new bow. Right
Old 03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: benz

Thanks for the replys. So if I switch to LH that would be a good excuse to tell my wife I need a new bow. Right

Excellent excuse.[8D]
Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: benz

Excellent excuse.[8D]
I did....and it worked
Old 03-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I'm right handed but left eye dominant also. I shot right handed when I was a kid. My first experience with a high powered rifle was sufficient motive to change over to shooting left handed. It was not as difficult as you might think. On the other hand, I can't even imagine trying to switch back. Although if I thought I would get a new bow out of the deal, I might consider it! My advice, make the switch - you will more than likely be more comfortable in the end.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Thats why I was so suprised when did the eye test.I have always shot my 30-06 right eyed through the scope and killed a decent amout of deer, but after falling in love with bow hunting this past year I would like give myself the best chance for pre November venison.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I am left handed with right eye dominant. I started up with right hand bow. Not a problem. It's just a little weak pulling in the beginning, but after a while I got used to it.