Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Speed Mods?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 PM
N2D

Default Bowtech Speed Mods?

Today I shot the 08 Ally with smooth mods and found it to be a nice draw. Then I got wondering about the speed mods and what would be the trade off. Due to a shoulder injury I can only handle around 60#. So if I were to install speed mods and lets say I could only handle 55#, would I be just as well off speed wise to keep the smooth mods at 60#? What's the difference in speed between the two and about how much more aggressive are the speed mods?

Ed
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowtech Speed Mods?

With a shoulder injury, I feel you'd be better off with the smooth mods.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

With a shoulder injury, I feel you'd be better off with the smooth mods.
I agree and you might actually be gaining with the smoothe mods with being able to handle more poundage but make sure you are shooting what is comfortable and not trying to hit a number on a chrony.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 06 Alley. I also draw 60 lbs. not because of an injury but by choice. When I bought the bow it had the smoth mods. in it and the Sportsmans Warehouse was out of speed mods. at the time. Curiosity kept me asking about speed mods. everytime I would be in the store until they had some finally. The guy who set me up actually just gave them to me.

I don't know if it is same for the 08 alley but, I found out when I changed mine that I also needed a new nut for the draw stop peg. The new nut is thinner than the one that was on the bow with the smooth mods. This was needed because the shape of the speed mods. overlaps the back of the draw stop peg where as the smooth mods. did not. This may save you a trip back to the store.

I did not notice a big difference in the feel of the draw when I went to the speed mods. maybe a little on the front end of the draw it stacks up some but, from there on it is consistant pull until it drops into the valley. Since to me there was not too big of a difference I have left the speed mods. on and haven't thought twice about taking them off, however I still have my smooth mods. because options aren't bad if you don't overthink them.

I don't think you you will gain anything or very littleby putting speed mods. on and turning your poundage down to get the same feel as smooth mods. at full poundage. Just my opinion from my own bow. I don't chrono my arrows so I can't give you real numbers for the speed difference. I think it is like an extra 10fps or so according to the Bowtech website.

If it is a curiosity thing like it was for me, I would say get the speed mods. and play around with them. If price is a concern maybe you can find a shop that has some speed mods. and ask them if they would mind if you tried the speed mods. out in their shop. If you don't like the feel they can sell them to someone else, I would think.

Hope this helps out a little.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ed, The feel is a very personal thing. A lot of guys prefer the feel of the Smooth mods, but for me I actually like the Speed mods on the Ally and feel the difference is hardly noticeable. Note I am shooting only 60#'s and regularly shot 80# and 90# for years. The best way to tell what they feel like is to just swap them out and shoot them awhile.

I swapped a lot of guys and it seems about 50-50 some prefer the speed and some the smooth. If I could shoot 60# easily with the smooth mods but felt like I had to lower the poundage to shoot the speed I would stay with the smooths. I think the speeds load up a bit quicker, but that is where most people are the strongest.

Dan
Old 03-22-2008, 04:46 AM
N2D

Okay guys thanks for the input. I have made up my mind to stick with the smooth mods. It just is not worth the chance of doing more damage to my shoulder just to try for a few more FPS. I am goiong to call the shop today and tell them to install the smooth mods when my bow comes in. Really, for me, that Ally shot so nice and feels so right with the smooth mods also.

Ed
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The poundage is not going to be any higher with the speed mods has a sharper valley and that's it. That's where the speed comes from. If you shot a different bow with different cams it wouldn't be any different. If you draw the bow back quickly like a power lifter there is a chance of damage. however, if you are doing that then you are drawing wrong anyway. You draw the bow back smoothly not quickly and therefore itis not going to do anymore damage. 60# is 60#

That's just my $.02 worth.