Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

i really don't like blitz fletching jigs

Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: i really don't like blitz fletching jigs

ORIGINAL: Bailsuk

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

The point of the strong magnet is to hold the fletch firmly in position without any give. It is actually one of the good things I like about the Bitzenberger. I always slide things in at an angle. I slantthetop of the clamp away from the shaft and slide the bottom of the clamp into position and resting against the back of the jig where the nock is seated. Then, using the bottom as a pivot point, rotate the top of the clamp towards the shaft. That seats the fletch onto the shaft neatly and cleanly. Then I give it a little pressure to make sure everything is seated along the length of the fletch and wait a couple minutes. Remove the clamp, rotate the shaft. put on another fletch.
X2

Dan
X3 and i'm a first timer .
X4, flawless for more years than I can remember.

Your doing something wrong. I attach it to the magnet, slide into position, like the commerical for Ron Propeil, set it and forget it..LOL
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Anyone have one for sale? Looking to pick up, let me know.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

I just got done using a new one. It's awful. The magnet is so freaking strong I have a hard time putting things where i want them.

I must be doing something wrong, but i'm not sure what.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

The one I used to use that didn't use magnets was 100x better.

ARGH!!!

just had to vent, but seriously, has anyone else had this problem?

To each his own but I've had mine since '75 and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have had a bitz for years, and I find it clunky and not as made out. I can't get that strong of helical as I would like, and you have to play endlessly trying to get the right setting for different setups.

Wadda ya want for that clunky pos? Let me rid you of all your frustrations with it
Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Ha ha... seems like everyone else loves theirs.

I can see why the magnet would be so freaking strong, but the glue I use sets up instantly, so it's not like I need it to set there.

Let me work on my technique... I guess... and see if I like it any better. I can't complain about anything else. Just takes some getting used to after using the last two jigs I had (bohning and some other one that didn't use magnets).

On a more positive note, in about 10,000 years the magnet should weaken enough that I will like using it
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM

That jig was designed a very long time before the advent of fast setting glue. I use Flecth Tite and let each vane set for 10 minutes. The old standard Fletch Tite sets slow but it will shrink down high spots on the very ends of the vane to make a perfect fit.
I've used fast set glues before but always go back to the slow Fletch Tite. The vapors that come off some of the fast set stuff are pretty strong!

Have fun fletching!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

That jig was designed a very long time before the advent of fast setting glue. I use Flecth Tite and let each vane set for 10 minutes. The old standard Fletch Tite sets slow but it will shrink down high spots on the very ends of the vane to make a perfect fit.
I've used fast set glues before but always go back to the slow Fletch Tite. The vapors that come off some of the fast set stuff are pretty strong!

Have fun fletching!!
Exact same experience here Gimp!

Dan
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have had a bitz for years, and I find it clunky and not as made out. I can't get that strong of helical as I would like, and you have to play endlessly trying to get the right setting for different setups.

Wadda ya want for that clunky pos? Let me rid you of all your frustrations with it
Nope, I got too many trad arrows and cedars that I put feathers on with that jig, and might have to repair them.